Hi

Rappa

Hangin around...
BRS Member
I've been a member here for a while, only lurking I'm embarrassed to say. I'm not a huge forum guy, but since my most recent build I'm getting a little more active.

Always had fresh water tanks as a kid from Cichlids, to Oscars and Dempsies, to turtles. I've been keeping salt water since 2004. I started with a 50 gallon Oceanic tank I bought on sale with a stainless stand from Petco one random day in 2004. I thought, "maybe I'll do saltwater this time?" I went to the old Seaworld in Salem, NH, bought some live rock and started a cycle. During the tank cycle, I was amazed by the hitchhikers from the live rock. From feather dusters to crabs and a mantis, I was instantly hooked. I had literally bought nothing but rock, and had enough stuff in my tank to be amazed. That's when I knew I would never do fresh water again. It was like a drug! Flashlight at night so I could watch the Pods scamper into the rock.... The old days...

Fast forward almost twenty years later and two moves, it was finally time to upgrade my 50 gallon tank. I was bored with the size, had no sump, just HOB filter and skimmer. Couldn't fit anymore corals, couldn't have the fish I wanted, tired of manual water changes, etc... Even though the tank was stable and I had great success with just a tiny tank with barely any equipment, I couldn't do it anymore. I had been planning my dream build for at least ten years... We weren't sure if we would stay in this house or upgrade so I kept putting it off. We decided to add on and stay here, so finally tore into my build this winter. I ordered my 70x30x24 DT and started construction on my in wall display with basement sump/equipment room. I'm the type of guy that once I get something in my head, it's balls to the walls. I started the project in February, by myself, with the occasional help of my wife and 5 and 9 year old children, during any spare time I could find. I went at it like it was a job, and have been enjoying the build every step of the way! I'm mostly done and finally enjoying the hobby again. My fish were most graciously in the temp custody of a good friend who also belongs to BRS. I've got full custody of my fish again and they are happier than ever.

I could probably keep writing, but this is supposed to be an introduction, so I'll end it here. I've got tons more to learn since I've gone automated, and I look forward to talking to you guys in the forums! Cheers!

Attachments

• Resized_PART_1689957212173_Resized_20230111_144837_(1).jpeg
    Resized_PART_1689957212173_Resized_20230111_144837_(1).jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Resized_PART_1689957212347_Resized_20230719_100001.jpeg
    Resized_PART_1689957212347_Resized_20230719_100001.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 77
Wow! That’s one hell of an upgrade, everything looks great! You should definitely start a build thread, we’d love to see your full setup.

Welcome to the club!

Thanks! I NEED to do a build thread! most importantly, for me to be able to look back on it like a journal. It's amazing how quickly you can forget how much work went into a project once it's completed. My build thread would take me "days" to put together I think...

Back