high alk. and lowering it

muddskipper

Non-member
ph 8.1
alk 6 mEq/ltr
ca unknown at the moment

how fast could i lower alk while raising ca? and do it safely.. will be using dowflake if i can find a bag tomorrow...if not it'll be kents turbo ca i think..

I would only do a 30% water change and see where the level is after. Too quick a drop will stress out the corals. Wait a few days and if necessary, change some more water.

muddskipper said:
ph 8.1
alk 6 mEq/ltr
ca unknown at the moment

how fast could i lower alk while raising ca? and do it safely.. will be using dowflake if i can find a bag tomorrow...if not it'll be kents turbo ca i think..
First, be sure your test kit is good. I had a salifert test that was bad and was reading real high. How did it get that high in the first place? It normally won't go that high unless you are putting something in there.

alk was alittle high (4 meq) then did a 33% water change using synthetic this time (normally use nsw) after the water change the alk went through the roof ..before i did the water change i added 2inches to the sandbed from an established tank..(about 4 inches now) salt is IO and i normally use baking soda for alk, used tapwater for this water change could be a possibility its from that?.... testkits a Fastest..

It just doesn't sound right to me. I don't see a 33% water change with IO adding that much Alk to your tank. Maybe something in the sand? I doubt that would be the case either. I'd try another test kit to be sure.

I'd recommend getting Salifert or Hagen Ca and Alk test kits first. Test both of those accurately and then you can make an appropriate plan.

I'd double check with someone who has a accurate test kit. I just opened a brand new Salifert ALk test and it was bad. Verified with another Salifert kit.

>alk was alittle high (4 meq) then did a 33% water change using synthetic this time (normally use nsw)<

Which mix are you using?

using Instant Ocean, the only thing i can think of is .. i picked up about 35lbs of live sand off someone, it came from an established tank, he uses baking soda for alk.. could it be possible that maybe the baking soda might build up in the substrate over time and when disturbed (moved to my tank) it was released into the water causing the high alk prob?.... more testing last night put the calcium under 300.. started a slightly heavy dose with kent kalkwasser mix hoping the calcium will come up and bring the alk down..

>could it be possible that maybe the baking soda might build up in the substrate over time and when disturbed <

No.

muddskipper said:
started a slightly heavy dose with kent kalkwasser mix hoping the calcium will come up and bring the alk down..
Actually Kalkwasser will raise BOTH alkalinity and Calcium, so if you believe that your alk is as high as your test kit says it is, you don't want to be adding Kalk.

Have you had a friend or LFS test your water for you with a reliable test kit?

Back