Higher PH swing on BB tank?

This is the first I have heard of this. Did you read it somewhere or just wondering?

IMO I don't think it is a problem I have been reading BB threads for the past 1 1/2 years (new tank will be BB) and I have not read anything about drastic PH swings. I would be more worried about nutrient build up in a BB.

Had DSB for 2+yrs and now BB for ~10months and have not noticed any significant increase in PH swing. Winter I am typically at 7.9-8.1 and summer 8.1-8.3. This is due to the Nilsen Rx on autotopoff (summer more evap)

IMO nutrient buildup is the same in a DSB or BB, just more noticeable in BB. I do a 10% wc bi-weekly and the first thing I do is syphon up the detrious pile in the back corner of my tank that accumilates.

jango said:
This is the first I have heard of this. Did you read it somewhere or just wondering?

IMO I don't think it is a problem I have been reading BB threads for the past 1 1/2 years (new tank will be BB) and I have not read anything about drastic PH swings. I would be more worried about nutrient build up in a BB.

I just wondering since i might switch to BB. I want more flow without the sandstorm.
Nutrient build up is worst in a BB? :confused:

I think the issue is around the pH stabilizing effect of aragonite sand, which wouldn't exist in a BB tank... but I believe aragonite sand doesn't dissolve until the pH drops much lower than what we keep out tanks at (think about a calcium reactor, you need a pretty low pH for the media to start dissolving), so it would be a moot point anyway.

Nuno

this is me said:
Nutrient build up is worst in a BB? :confused:
No it should be the same build up. From what I have read if the husbandry is not up to par they can go south quicker than a DSB...

IMO I don't think you will have any issue's. Every pic of your tank that I have seen it look's spotless. Just make sure to syphon all the crap out weekly or bi-weekly and you will be all set....

Last edited:
Back