Highly Recommended, Reefbum with Dr. Sanjay

It was nice to hear him talk about the serious coral health issue in his tank that he cannot figure out how to fix. Such a familiar feeling... But it was also neat to see his even-keeled response to the whole situation.

I had no idea a trend in the hobby has been to dose bacteria. What a load of nonsense - I bet Dr. Tim started it and is laughing all the way to the bank. It's nice to see a scientist interviewed about a lot of this stuff, the amount of pseudo-scientific nonsense that permeates this hobby has always been bad and makes me wonder if it is getting worse...

Also this person with a company that test DNA of your tanks bacteria, I am surprised that when there is little research data to show what is good, what is bad, he can give you the answers ahead of time. Also, good bacteria can turn bad when over populated, it is pretty basic college knowledge. Also he is testing the water, not the bacteria on substrates and coral, you be the judge, I will spend my money somewhere else at this time.

Last edited:
I had no idea a trend in the hobby has been to dose bacteria. What a load of nonsense - I bet Dr. Tim started it and is laughing all the way to the bank. It's nice to see a scientist interviewed about a lot of this stuff, the amount of pseudo-scientific nonsense that permeates this hobby has always been bad and makes me wonder if it is getting worse...
here comes Dr. Tim

Thanks for sharing, listening to this made me look up what scientific contributions he has actually published to back up the many, many claims Dr. Tim makes. The result is very, very little. He has published 3 papers all as a grad student 20+ years ago. And if you look closely at those papers you can see that they are also very little - "we took the filter pads from a few aquariums, tested for 3 types of bacteria and detect them". So just looking for an association and not demonstrating that the bacteria are functionally contributing to something important.

You can find his resume/CV here: https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Hovanec-Pro-CV-Aug11.pdf

And Pubmed is a gold standard for searching for peer-reviewed journal articles (where you have shared your scientific method and data with other scientists so they can help determine if the quality is high and worthy of sharing with the broader community). Almost everything else on the resume/CV does not reach this important milestone, it is just invited talks/articles for hobbyists. (Friendly audience where your data and your conclusions are not scrutinized) Only the 2001 paper seems to have anything meaningful in it and that is only for freshwater, and is a similar association as their bacterial cultures are not pure.

1644160738699.png

Dr. Tim, Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil.....all reasonable and smart people who have decided trade on their credentials to go make some money...

Back