Hippo in corner tank overflow

Quadman2004

BRS Member
Hoping someone can help me with this problem I have. I have a 92gl corner tank. My hippo tang disappeared 6-7wks ago. Long story short.....I found him in my overflow. With the shape of the tank I can't get directly over the overflow to try and catch him because I can't reach and there's only 2 1/2 ft clearance over the tank to ceiling. He's very skittish to begin with and when he sees me he dives down out of sight.
Anyone have advice on how to get him out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a durso , turn off your return,pull the durso slowly so it drops the the water level and try netting him

Sounds like your gonna have to drain your overflow and get a net in there quickly somehow. Hopefully none of the plumbing in the overflow is glued so you can pull it out..

get a folding ladder like this
upload_2017-7-7_22-19-36.jpeg
so you can get close enough to the over flow . get a glove so you dont get cut by the tang
and use your hands .
if you can get a folding ladder get the tallest furniture close to the height of your tank so you can laid on it and use your hand .
I remember closing my 150 gallon and dropping my new iPhone on the overflow. took me 5 minutes to get out and the phone wasn't moving lol. never mind trying to get the hippo with a net in there with the pipes in the way the only way you will get him is if he gets tangle by the net which can cause infections later anyways .
i try to only use nets on fish when its complete necessary

Have not done this, but have heard about filling the overflow with sand to force him to the top so he is easier to remove, then just siphoning the sand back out.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Still trying to get him out. I'll keep trying but don't want to stress him to much. He's lived in there this long so I'll try something different each day. Thanks again [emoji225][emoji226]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had some success with a homemade water bottle trap. It depends on how big of a fish it is. The water bottles are good in that they are pretty flexible and can be worked down between the pipes.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back