his a$$ would be grass if he wasn't so darn pretty

nickyblase

Non-member
I put in a really nice fire shrimp yesterday afternoon. Decent sized. Pretty psyched about the new guy.

Not even 2 hours later, I saw him literally chopped in half! At first I thought it might be a really oddly shaped molt. But nope - it really was the front half of his now dead body.

My beautiful, beloved Mystery Wrasse is a murderer!!!!!! I saw him eyeing the shrimp, and darting really quickly at it, but thought nothing of it, because it never occurred to me that he could do such a thing. Then, he was carrying it around in his mouth!

If he weren't so expensive and so pretty, he'd be in big trouble.

Bummer - guess I won't be keeping ornamental shrimp anytime soon. :(

Anybody think I should pick the shrimp over the wrasse??? :D JK

ouch!!! That hurts!!!:eek:
I had 5 peps & 2 cleaners in my tank for over three years....All of a sudden they started to disappear....Figured after 3 years in captivity I could chalk it up to old age......So.......Added 5 new peps...they were all gone within a week!!!
Culprit:

6 line!!
Moral:
No ornamental shrimp are safe in a tank with any wrasse!!!;)

Sorry to hear about your loss...BTW...It's also nice to put a face with ur name!!!;)
Take care.
B

How about a nice big Coral Banded?
Might be entertaining to watch and will cost less.....just kidding.

I feel your pain. I had a fire, peppermint and 2 sexy shrimp in my tank before I added a Mystery Wrasse. I actually watched it hunt the sexy shrimp.

Better to have the wrasse hunt the shrimp than the shrimp hunt the wrasse.;) When I bought my first 5 bar, I watched my six line hunt it down and kill it. There was nothing I could do about it. My $15 dollar fish killed my $180 dollar fish!:eek:

Better to have the wrasse hunt the shrimp than the shrimp hunt the wrasse.;) When I bought my first 5 bar, I watched my six line hunt it down and kill it. There was nothing I could do about it. My $15 dollar fish killed my $180 dollar fish!:eek:

Thats much worse. I was going to blame you Don because I bought it after seeing yours. :D

OMG Don - your sixline will go down in history books, that's for sure.

p.s. If you don't change your avatar, I'm going to photoshop a pic of Terry Francona (to look younger and better looking of course!) :)

I think it helps to have the shrimp in the system before adding the mystery. We have 3 fire shrimp and a pair of cleaners in a tank full of wrasse and they have been fine for a very long time now. We tried to add some peppermints a while back, however, and that didn't work out so well for the peppermints.:( A few managed to find good hiding places where the wrasse couldn't reach them but an unfortunate few became snacks right before our very eyes.:(

Sorry to hear of your fire shrimp Nicky, that's a shame, they're so gorgeous. Our 3 all hang out together out in the open all day, on the same rock. They're buddies.:)

ouch!!! That hurts!!!:eek:
I had 5 peps & 2 cleaners in my tank for over three years....All of a sudden they started to disappear....Figured after 3 years in captivity I could chalk it up to old age......So.......Added 5 new peps...they were all gone within a week!!!
Culprit:

6 line!!
Moral:
No ornamental shrimp are safe in a tank with any wrasse!!!;)

Sorry to hear about your loss...BTW...It's also nice to put a face with ur name!!!;)
Take care.
B

It's such a funny thing about sixlines - mine is an angel. It could be all about the company it's in though, because I have a couple of Tomatoes that I got from Armando a couple years back, and the female is NASTY!

I think you're right though. I should have known better putting a shrimp in after a wrasse. Doh!

On another note, I am in need of a couple SPS frags! You going to the meeting this month Brian? An acro fell on my purple undata (at least I think it was an undata!), and it ain't lookin' too hot.

Also, it's a good idea to add the shrimp at night when the fish are asleep. That way there's less of a chance of them being viewed as food.:eek::)

It's such a funny thing about sixlines - mine is an angel. It could be all about the company it's in though, because I have a couple of Tomatoes that I got from Armando a couple years back, and the female is NASTY!

I think you're right though. I should have known better putting a shrimp in after a wrasse. Doh!

On another note, I am in need of a couple SPS frags! You going to the meeting this month Brian? An acro fell on my purple undata (at least I think it was an undata!), and it ain't lookin' too hot.

Laurie,

My sixline is a slob!! He has cleaned my tank of pods to the point that my manderin had to be administered the royal flush!! (he had the dead stare so I had to Euthenize him) It was very slow...it took 1 year for him to starve!!

The SL is so big on the other hand he doesn't even look like a wrasse!!! more like a tang!!!:p
On the other note:
I think it was the Grape undata you speak of. I have more, if that is the one...I'll throw one your way ...you've been more than fair w/me!

BTW...I am going to this months meeting...(it's been a while for me & I've been waiting for MP to come speak for a very long time)

If there's other sps that interest you Just shoot me a pm.;)
B

Last edited:
Don, I mean Terry... I have those palys and purple tonga shroom if you want them still - let me know. I'm actually (finally) coming to the next meeting.

Brian - I'll send you a PM of my shopping list. :)

Back