HOB Skimmer - REEF OCTOPUS BH1000 HOB PROTEIN SKIMMER

The River Reef

Non-member
After a failed attempt at fitting a sump under my column style 56g (too close to our couch - noise and smell too much!), I have been looking at purchasing a HOB skimmer. I am running a Fluval 405 cannister filter right now and will keep it as a closed loop system and run bio-media and when needed carbon in it....

REEF OCTOPUS BH1000 HOB PROTEIN SKIMMER - seems to be the one I will go with. Can anyone comment on pros/ cons before I order this skimmer?

I have no first hand experience so this really means nothing, but I have been researching HOB skimmers as well and this is the one I decided on. From the reviews I have seen it seems to work well. The only negatives I have read about is I thought I saw someone who said since the pump was on the outside it was a little loud for them? Others seemed to like that the pump was external due to less heat transfer and compared to some other models no pump hanging in the tank.

Last edited:
I am looking for any feedback on this system... The noise level will be a concern. I am also looking at the new BH 90, has anyone used this one? Trying to decide on which of the 2 to try...

when I was using a HOB skimmer I used a bicycle inner tube and lined it where it had contact with the tank and was pretty much silent... hope this help

I ran the 100 (almost identical) and it is a quiet skimmer; I would compare it to a hob filter as far as noise level. Not sure if it has been re-designed or not, but the return tube to the tank is a tee with an open top (at least my 100 is) and it acts as a reverse durso to mimize bubbles returning to the tank. That's where most of the noise will be heard. I put a small piece about 1/4" thick of that very coarse black mesh and it made a huge difference in return water noise as well as kept the bubble splash down off my light fixture. IMHO it's a good skimmer. BTW mine is in the classifieds right now ;)

I just bought one of these off a fellow reefer. I do have to say, it's probably the best skimmer. Compared to what I used to have, seaclone 100, it's an improvement. It pulls out a lot of gunk from my tank. It's quiet and easy to install. I would recommend it to anyone that can't use or fit an in sump skimmer.

Back