Hot Weather

t1771

Non-member
Just a reminder that tank temps will probably go up this weekend with the anticipated hot weather... I think at one time or another we have all lost fish/corals because of this. Get those fans ready!

Mods feel free to remove this, I just saw a post earlier this week with some warm weather reminders!

I found that properly fit Cellular Shades go quite a ways in keeping entire house cooler in summer... and warmer in winter. Home Depot has double cell by Bali, but if you can find and don't mind spending a little more, then I would go with Hunter Douglas triple honeycomb for best energy efficiency and sound deadening.
Also helps tremendously if you can open up the place when it is cool during the night then close everything up tight during the days.
It might make sense and cost little to set thermostat on an airconditioner to 75 on very hot days and just cool the room instead of trying to just keep a tank cool. More comfortable for us humans too. :)

tank stayed at 79...but it's 87:: on the second floor of my house right now....way too hot for April.

in fairness, there's 300 gallons of water down in my fish room, and I prepared for this by running fresh air down there to keep it cool

Our tank hit 78.6 today:eek:.....sorry:p.

20ish gallons of water upstairs (~22% of the net water volume) with 70ish in the basement (~78% of the next water volume) made for no heat issues yet.

We ended up putting a 10,000 BTU in the living room - kept it 79ish degrees in the room with the tank climbing (biocube 14) a litle bit. Everything looks good. That means we should be okay when the weather hits into the 90-95 range.

Just got it yesterday too - just in time. I'm sure if the main room was 84ish - the tank would be overheating.

Back