How do YOU qt fish and coral? Let's share ideas.

GobyWanKenobie

BRS Member
Can we share ideas on setting up a qt tank and then put it in an easy to find location for the benefit of others?

I'll start. I quarantine everything using water from my dt. For fish, I only set it up when I need it. I keep extra sponges in my sump to help with the biofiltration, monitor daily, use Prime to help with ammonia spikes and do a 10% water change almost daily in the beginning, then taper off as the water balances. I don't suggest this is the best way, it's just how I do it.

For coral, I keep a small 3 gallon tank set up at all times, dip in CoralRx, and watch for pests and diseases. I do weekly 20% water changes to replenish lost elements.

What does everyone else do? Can you start a qt with fresh saltwater and then immediately put fish or coral into it? We keep telling everyone they have to "cycle" their tanks before putting livestock into it yet it seems some hobbiests will put fish and coral into a newly set up qt tank. This is very confusing. Is the difference short term living space vs. long term living space?

Back