How long does your DI resin last?

rock-n-reef

BRS Member
Curious how long does your DI resin last. I know it is going to be dependent on the TDS of the water entering the resin. But I have a feeling I may be getting CO2 in my water which could be causing the resin to deplete quickly.

I use mixed bed color changing DI resin from bulkreef supply, 2 canister in sequence. I have 7 or 8 TDS on the input to the first canister, 0 ppm going into the second and 0 ppm in the output. The first canister is replaced with the second when the first one is depleted, and new DI is added to the second.

I'm averaging about 150 to 160 gallons of output water per DI canister before it runs out. That seems like a small volume for the 7 TDS input. So wondering how much volume of output water are you able to generate before it depletes.

Has anyone run into issues with CO2 in their water? and is anyone running a degassing setup (commercial or DIY) on their RODI?

Thank you!

Been using mine for about 9 months now. Still got some "green" and still reading 0 TDS out. I forget what my TDS is before the DI, but I'll check the next time I go into the basement.

I just bought a DI refill and will probably change it soon.

FWIW, we're on well water here, and I've got a "whole house" sediment filter and a water softener before the RODI.

That is high TDS coming off the membrane. I have 0-1 coming off dual membranes supplied by a booster pump since town pressure is only 40 psi. I make water at 85 psi with the high flow restrictor installed in my RO plumbing since it helps make membrane/filter use most efficient with the lower-end TDS of my incoming water. I just followed Spectrapure’s directions on that aspect of setup. My DI lasts for over a year at 0 TDS product if you want to go that long. I only use one DI Canister and BulkReef DI. My town supplied well water has 89-125 TDS depending on season and precipitation conditions. Summer is highest TDS I see. I read my annual town water report each year and I think I am lucky they don’t need to add a lot our water here.

What is your incoming TDS and are you well or town water? Where does that come from if it is town? Do you get a report? I wonder if they add anything that could be fouling you up?

I have had mine for almost a year now give or take and it only has used about a quarter of it. I have 0-1 tds going in and 0 coming out. I have city water which I guess is really clean.

I was going on 1+ year and was getting around 2-4 going into DI resin but I recently added a second RO membrane and tds is now 4-6 (they said it would go up with 2nd membrane) but the cost of extra DI resin will greatly be offset by water savings as my water prices are pretty high.

Once my DI resin exhausts I plan on adding a third DI stage to do the two split resins with the combined resin for the 3rd stage which will also save me money in the long run as one resin should get exhausted faster so in theory I should be able to not buy as much resin in the long run...

Curious how long does your DI resin last. I know it is going to be dependent on the TDS of the water entering the resin. But I have a feeling I may be getting CO2 in my water which could be causing the resin to deplete quickly.

I use mixed bed color changing DI resin from bulkreef supply, 2 canister in sequence. I have 7 or 8 TDS on the input to the first canister, 0 ppm going into the second and 0 ppm in the output. The first canister is replaced with the second when the first one is depleted, and new DI is added to the second.

I'm averaging about 150 to 160 gallons of output water per DI canister before it runs out. That seems like a small volume for the 7 TDS input. So wondering how much volume of output water are you able to generate before it depletes.

Has anyone run into issues with CO2 in their water? and is anyone running a degassing setup (commercial or DIY) on their RODI?

Thank you!
So I have high co2 in my water and I’m just around the corner. I bought the test kit and you’re more than welcome to use it to verify. I installed a while home filtration system and that addressed the issue and not my DI last for a good bit of time...... reasonable now. I was depleting it fast.

53122FD9-99BB-4F97-8434-49B4F34126D1.jpeg

So I have high co2 in my water and I’m just around the corner. I bought the test kit and you’re more than welcome to use it to verify. I installed a while home filtration system and that addressed the issue and not my DI last for a good bit of time...... reasonable now. I was depleting it fast.

I have my system being installed tomorrow, My decision was more driven for preventative maintenance on the existing pipes. Did you notice any loss of pressure? Do you have a bladder tank as well? I just replaced that a month ago.

No I get relatively the same pressure. Prefilter last about 6 months, amazing to see the crap it catches in what I thought was good water. I installed the system as a preventative thing for the systems and against PFAS etc but caught the added benefit of reduced co2 in the water

View attachment 152576

Ahhh! that is good to know Bryan. I should have checked with you first since you are likely on the same water. I ordered a CO2 test kit couple of days ago and waiting for it to come. Probably I will find out the same as you had. I will take a look at your system when I stop by. Likely would need to install something like that or a degassing chamber. Thank you!

Thank you folks for the input! Nine months to an year for DI replacement sounds like really good. I'm having to change out every other month.

What is your incoming TDS and are you well or town water? Where does that come from if it is town? Do you get a report? I wonder if they add anything that could be fouling you up?
@gobyvin incoming TDS is about 35 ppm. On town water which comes from a couple of nearby reservoirs in Hopkinton and Ashland. The town water report (included below) didn't show anything abnormal except for some elevated levels of Manganese. But based on @PSU4ME 's experience, I'm thinking it would just be CO2. Will wait for the test kit to come in and I will report back! thanks for the help!

1607458527062.png

I recently had a whole house water filtration/softener installed in my house for preventative reasons but mainly because we're redoing the wife's main bathroom and I didn't want to drop that kind of money to have the scale build up and make it look like crap.

That being said I have noticed that my TDS going into the RODI has gone down but since I've added the 2nd RO membrane the TDS going into the DI cartridges are about the same as it was pre whole house water filtration system install...

Back