How much space between wall and tank?

Dtilton

Non-member
Hi all-

Getting ready to fill my tank with rock and rodi h20 and all that good stuff to get the cycle going, and as I just finished leveling it, I thought,"how the heck far off the wall should this be?" 90 gal with drains in bottom back left corner. Sump under stand now, but later big sump in basement. MH lights with fan. I have it about 6 inches now so I can run 1-1/2 PVC behind there for the sump, but do I need more? What do reefers do behind their tanks that might require more than 6" ?? Thanks!

-Danny

My feeling is that if you can't walk behind it then enough space for a power cord is plenty.

LOL!! Thanks Marc! I was thinking the same thing,and getting it closer to the wall,the load bearing wall,will make me feel better too. Joists are running parallel rather than perpendicular, but the house is 100 years old, and there's a double 2x8 under the wall,and it's really 2x8 'cuz it's so old, rather than
1-1/4 x 7 ! Just enough room for 1-1/2 PVC it is....
-Danny

make sure the pvc doesn't contact anything, (vibration, noise) and leave space for a 90 degree elbow.....

already dry-fit a long sweep 90, a couple of 45's and some 22's just to make sure whatever we do, it'll fit... Thanks!!!

enough space for a power cord is plenty.

Thats another one I learned by being a dummy :p
I once installed a corner tank (my own) all anal about getting the stand nice and tight to the wall, cut the base boards, scribed the corner of the stand where it was so the sides would flush up nice, trim pieces along the wall, tank full then ummm light cords? oh well they'll just hang on the outside :confused:

Back