How much top off water do you use in the winter?

Bobbofin

Non-member
I have a 60 cube with an open top (no canopy or glass) and a LED fixture. My house has been running about 68° and my tank 77°. Obviously with the tank temp higher than the ambient temp and having forced hot air heat the tank is going evaporate water more quickly than if they were both ambient temp. Also dry air from the forced hot air heat wicks moisture from where ever it can find it, which is my tank, to hydrate itself. I have to set up my humidifier. I am currently replacing about 3/4 to 1 gallon a day. I'm curious what other folks are replacing?

Last edited:
Im going through 5 gallons every 4 days on my 75 gallon. I noticed a huge jump when I started using halides. Its actually one of the reasons I want to go completely to T5's.

Jordan

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

That's not unheard of... On my 55 with sump last winter I was doing 5 gallons every 3-4 days... Besides the tank/house temperature difference the really low humidity speeds up the evaporation and I think that's more the bigger problem... I've noticed my tank isn't loosing as much water the past few weeks and I've been sleeping on the couch with a humidifier running since my sinus surgey...

And for the record I'm on the couch because I'm a nice husband and don't want to keep the wife up with my breathing and sleeping problems :p

And for the record I'm on the couch because I'm a nice husband and don't want to keep the wife up with my breathing and sleeping problems :p[/QUOTE]
Sure! Lol!

2-3 a day in a 125 with 30 sump. I have a canopy with t5 and 24 led. Radiant heat. The tank is my humidifier:)

winter months the evap rate goes up.... many factors as to how much per 24 hours..... I probably drop roughly 2.5 gals a day in the winter....

When I had halides we would go through 3 gallons a day evaporation winter months and up to 5 summer. Now with leds we go though 1/2 to 3/4 a gallon a day, and this is an open top 75 gallon and an open top 20 long all tied into the same sump

I'm going through 20 gallons for 7 days with my system.So roughly 3 gallons a day.
I run a wood stove so the house stays warm and dry.

I have noticed a big jump in water consumption over the past couple of weeks. I have gone from 2-3g a week to about 4-5g a week. I am running a 55g covered with 10g sump uncovered.

it is interesting how much heat is captured by the plastic cover.

I normally use 5 gallons every two weeks between two 10g tanks (one fully open & one fully closed). Now thats starting to last me about 10 days.

Back