How to talk a landlord into letting you put the sump in the basement?

dedfish

That's Mr.Murphy to you!
Has anyone here had a conversation with a landlord about putting in a basement sump? I'd really like to do this in my new apartment by going through a wall into a small utility closet and then through the floor. This way there would be no visible damage to the nice hardwood floors. The walls are plaster so I think it would be to difficult to go into a wall and then down into the basement.

So if you've had this conversation before how did it go? How did you approach the landlord? Any advice? I'm competent enough to repair the wall and plug the holes when I leave so you can't tell anything was done.

if I was a landlord...I wouldn't allow it. There is nothing benefitial for him to allow you to do it. If anything, only bad things can happen for him. I think your lucky he allows you to keep a reef with all the water. These days, alot of landlords don't allow pets of any kind.....jmo

if I was a landlord...I wouldn't allow it. There is nothing benefitial for him to allow you to do it. If anything, only bad things can happen for him. I think your lucky he allows you to keep a reef with all the water. These days, alot of landlords don't allow pets of any kind.....jmo

I agree. I wouldn't press your luck by even asking your landlord to do this. Be happy you're allowed to even have a tank at all.

being a landlord

I would have to agree with the majority of what was said, could lead to issues for the landlord...If you do have the talk ask hime if you could up the security deposit incase something happends....that might be your only hope.

You can try the "well, if I have a flood it will only be the basement instead of the living area"... ;-)

And yes, that is a joke. I agree with most of what has been said here. Be happy you have a reef at all.

step one- buy the property
step two- convince yourself it is a good idea, this part should be pretty easy!

I agree with everyone, you may just make him realize what type of damage could be caused by a tank failure. Worst case scenario is he could realize it is too much risk as it is and make you take it down. I would leave well enough alone.

landlord

If your landlord is also your father-in-law and in no uncertain terms wants his daughter back - do what you want.

So apparently it is easier than I though to talk the landlord into letting my put holes in the floor. He was over today looking at, of all things, the water that enters the basement when it rains really hard and I popped the question to him. He could of cared less. I'm very excited at this opportunity.

Back