How would you stock your fantasy tank?

objectfire

PatternMaster
It's almost tax time, people!! Admit it. Some of you have been dreaming of a big refund and how it could be applied to your fantasy tank...

(unlikely as that refund may be)

How would you stock your fantasy tank? No limits here. What would you put in a 10 foot long, 3 foot wide by 3 foot tall tank?

Kent

My ex-husband, then add about 300# of rock:cool: j/k NOT

I second Shoeib, large angels and SPS....:) and a couple eels

I'm thinking two rock walls, with a large sand lagoon in the center, filed with clams. I'm thinking several Copper Banded butterfly's (that will leave the clams alone) and a school of tangs.

* Wait while this is fantesy, I'm thinking some parrot fish. Common this is fantesy the parrot fish will not bother the coral. Also thinking some triger in there, ahhh dreaming.

673 gallons in all.....too small for my fantasy tank :D

Queen & Emp Angel are2 fish I would love to have in a BIG tank

If it were 10' x 10' x10' it would be a seadragon tank for sure, low flow on bottom, high flow up top, to allow sps up top.

Moe_K said:
Did you win the lottery, Kent? ;)

Nope, but I am seriously thinking of setting up an extremely large tank system (multiple tanks) once a suitable house is available :)

Let's hear a few more ideas. I am seriously interested in what people would do, given a large budget, plenty of space, and copious amounts of free time!

Kent

Scuba_Dave said:
673 gallons in all.....too small for my fantasy tank :D

Queen & Emp Angel are2 fish I would love to have in a BIG tank

Okay, for the big tank owners out there, how large is your fantasy tank, and what would you put in it??

Maybe I should not say fantasy, but in the realm of possibility, given:

- a large budget (how large?)
- ample room (again, how much?)
- and lots of free time (how much time would you want to spend with the tank and still have a life?)

Maybe this thread could spawn a few more realistic discussions, if enough people jump in with answers (preferably, long rambling and highly detailed, with examples of living the fantasy tank life).

Kent

My "fantasy tank" will be about 10-12' long, 30" to max of 40" tall, and a min of 36" to a max of 48" deep
So max size of 1,371 gallons

The size I think (hoping) I will end up is:
10' long x 3' front to back x 30" deep = 561 gallons

If I use this as a room divider (viewable on both sides) I may go to 48" front to back = 748 gallons

To me, these (2) tanks are possible. I have also decided the big tank will be a reef (a lot of fish), and a min of SPS. I really like the softies & fish & intend to dedicate the next tank to that.

What would go in it? Lots of fish
Imperator/Emporer Angel, possibly a Queen if they might get along.
At least 2 pairs of clowns...onyx & reg O.
Gobies...all sorts
Blennies...all sorts
A yellow tang of course
A trigger may be nice...but likes shrimp...so I think not
Flame Angel Centropyge loriculus
CBB Chelmon rostratus
A pair of black & white Heniochus
A pair of Banggai Cardinal
Foxface
A hippo tang
A clown tang

hmmmmm....too many tangs I think...? better go 10' & 4' front to back & 40" tall :D

Royal Gramma

I like a large group of the same fish. With a large tank that I wasn't too concerned about bioload or cramped fish I would definately have a large group (15+) of chromis and/or anthias. Then a few large fish and several pairs of different butterflys. A big ritteri anemone wouldn't be too shabby either.

I would want a natural sunlight system too. Maybe something with an opening larger than the tank and some sort of a focusing system or suplimentation to make up for our northerly location.

Last edited:
objectfire said:
Okay, for the big tank owners out there, how large is your fantasy tank, and what would you put in it??

Maybe I should not say fantasy, but in the realm of possibility, given:

- a large budget (how large?)
- ample room (again, how much?)
- and lots of free time (how much time would you want to spend with the tank and still have a life?)

Maybe this thread could spawn a few more realistic discussions, if enough people jump in with answers (preferably, long rambling and highly detailed, with examples of living the fantasy tank life).

Kent

Try this if you like lots of large angelfishes.

My fantasy tank is a tank with Sea Dragons, which are under the Australian government's protection.

Attachments

• Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 151
My fantasy tank would be very very long - maybe 20 feet or so. It would be a snapshot of the mangrove habitat to the reef. The left side would be mangroves and the critters that live around mangroves - puffers, baby fish, mudskippers, crabs, etc. maybe some anemones, ricordia, etc. The middle would have some sea grasses and LPS - like elegance corals, and pipefish. On the right would be the reef - with nice large colonies. The fish cruising this dream aquarium would include:
Long horned cowfish
porcupine puffer
sharpnose puffers
stars & stripes puffer
various puffers
boxfish
lots of various wrasses
butterfly fish
angle fish
school of dark blue chromis

Everyone would get along because the tank would be so big . Also the corals would grow so fast that if any of the fish grazed on them it wouldn't matter. Sunlight would pour in from the skylights above.

I would never leave the house again if I had such a tank.

I guess it is a good thing this is just a fantasy - as I actually owe the IRS.

Since this is a fantasy, I'm going to throw in a reef expert to help take care of the aquarium and clean the glass.

Someday though I do want an enormous tank so I can have a cowfish and a porcupine puffer.

Back