hydnophora sting

JPags

BRS Member
I have a green hydnophora that has stung 2 of my corals. The first was some Xenia that came too close. The Xenia started dying so I cut it back and now the little remaining pieces are growing back.

The second victim was my Large Green button polyps. The buttons have closed up but have not disintegrated yet. I was wondering if its possible for them to recover from this sting? I cleaned off all the long tentacles that were left and I have not seen any more stinging tentacles.

Is it possible that the hydnophora is still stinging them and I am not seeing the tentacles left over or will you always see the tentacles after they sting something.

John

The hydnophora is on an aggressive coral that packs a punch to it's neighboring corals. Give it plenty of room and hope for the best. The Xenia are a bit more sensitive. Razor blade cut back the effected area so's the healthy part of it is ok, so that was a good step. The large green button ployps is pretty hardy and there's a good chance the unaffected parts of the corals will be ok.

So do you think the polyps that got stung will not re-open? There are other polyps on the colony that are still open and ok.

Should I cut them off the stung polyps or leave them for a bit and see if they recover?

Thanks

John

Maybe I could borrow it to kill off my Green Buttons. They're EVERYWHERE! :D

So do you think the polyps that got stung will not re-open? There are other polyps on the colony that are still open and ok.

Should I cut them off the stung polyps or leave them for a bit and see if they recover?

Thanks

John
Leave them be for awhile, watch them and if they stay closed and get a milky white covered film then chances are they won't recover.

Looks like they are dying off. Should I frag off the ones that are still opening so the whole colony does not die?

Thanks

John

Back