Hydnophora Skeleton?

randoma

Non-member
Is this normal? The 'flesh' seems to be lifting off the skeleton.. It was like this when we got it, but the skeletal area seems to be growing a little larger. The skeleton is not bleaching at all, but I have no idea what it is *supposed* to look like! The other side is all green and none of the other branches have the split skin.

IMG_1664.jpg

what you have looks like pectinia lactuca or a horn coral very delicate. tissue recesion may be due to stress or lower alkalinity. otherwise it apppears healthy

I disagree with the ID, I think it's a specie of Hydnophora (maybe rigida?), but which is also called horn coral.
As far as the tissue reccession, I have seen it before. Always on a smaller scale, but usually no harm done to the rest of the colony or frag. Hydnos have a hard, or slow, time encrusting in general and it looks like the recession started from the bottom up...maybe from fragging or mounting it (some putty puts out a small amount of heat while it cures). Your recession does look sorta advanced.

It is a weed. When it adapt to your tank, it will grow so fast that your will regret that you've introduced it in your tank.

horn corals are very pretty when healthy and under actiniv lighting. good luck with it i know they are a challenge.

Calcium is 420, Alk is 11. Calcium had dropped to 380 a couple days ago, but that's still well within reason.

Should I frag it into two pieces (cutting out the parts with recession)?

Here's a picture (out of water) from when it arrived from cyber-reef..

The higher recession has not progressed, but the recession on the lower limb (left side) has definitely progressed some in the week we've had it.

Should I frag it into two pieces, cutting out the parts with recession?

IMG_1638.jpg

Is this normal? The 'flesh' seems to be lifting off the skeleton.. It was like this when we got it, but the skeletal area seems to be growing a little larger. The skeleton is not bleaching at all, but I have no idea what it is *supposed* to look like! The other side is all green and none of the other branches have the split skin.

IMG_1664.jpg

havent seen that issue with the piece I got. when it gets disturbed it does shrink for days but eventually comes back.

It is a weed. When it adapt to your tank, it will grow so fast that your will regret that you've introduced it in your tank.

its not a weed, it doesnt creep all over tank like a weed, although it grows well is easily pruned, more lighting the more intense green it gets.

I would mark the skeleton where the flesh is lining now and look again tomorrow. If the flesh recedes any more I would chop it.

???? How so DZ?
my hydno gows very slow and always is an eyecatcher.

Randoma,it's not looking to good anyhow so.... frag it.

Back