Hydor Koralia EVO 1500 v Jebao pp8

IPWitan

Non-member
I just purchased a Jebao pp8 powerhead. I had some difficulty finding a comparison between the Jebaos and Koralia products. Hopefully this can fill in the gaps. The price between the two is about the same $60 +/- $10, purchased online. The Jebao comes with an attached controller which varies the flow and programming, e.g. 50% in a pulse pattern. It also has a "feed" mode which pauses the jets. I don't know if I will use it as it seems only fair to make the fish work a little to chase down their food. The Jebao can be angled in all directions as can the Koralia, albeit by a different means. Both move a lot of water. Many have complained that it is too much. At least on the Jebao you can turn down the power if you wish. I have (had) them both on a standard 4 foot 75 gallon tank, which seems appropriate. I would not want to go bigger nor smaller.

I only tested the pp8 as a single unit, but apparently they can be linked and synced for some cool wave features. I have read that keeping them synced was an issue with the rr series and I don't know whether it has been improved with the updated pp series. The pp8 shipped to my house via Amazon in 6 hours free with Amazon Prime. Amazing!

In my opinion, there are 3 critical distinctions.
1 - as mentioned, the pp8 has a built in control, which seems cool.
2 - the pp8 is significantly smaller yet produces the same or more water movement. It is about 2 inches closer to the glass. See picture below.
3 - the Koralia offers a stronger linear flow while the jebao is more dispersed, put still quite linear. Both move a lot of water.

I also own a Hydor Koralia Gen 3 which mounts closer to the glass. The head is much bigger than the pp8. The flow in the Gen 3 is very dispersed and hardly seems to move water. Moreover, I could hardly feel the water move 5 inches from the power head. Frankly, I don't get the appeal since I like the Evos better. You can see the Gen 3 in the back right side of the tank.

In the far left corner is a Koralia Evolution 1150, which is a good pump and a little smaller than the 1500.

I cannot offer a longevity test for the pp8. I can say, however, that I didn't get more than 3-4 years from the Koralias. I really liked them for the price, albeit when I first started purchasing Hydor powerheads, they were $35-40, not $50-70. I cannot compare them to Tunzes as I don't own one. However, they appear to be very similar in design.

In case anyone is curious, I cut out many of the slats in the Koralia guard cage to make the holes bigger. When bigger, the snails can clean them out. Flow was significantly restricted by bubble algae and cotton candy algae. After I cut out the slates, the problem largely disappeared.

How do you get 6hr shipping from Amazon prime?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. Same day delivery on Amazon Prime to the north shore. I also ordered an electric scale to measure 2 part ingredients. That purchase had next day listed, but also came the same day. Very cool.

Back