Hydrometer/Refractor

Bettencourt

Non-member
Well, I finally broke my hydrometer. Knew I would! I would like to get a refractor. I want one that is considered by you folks, as a good choice and EASY to read. Should I go to J's/Skip's or would I do better ordering one on line. Thanks for your help.

I broke my too. I accidentally dropped it in the tank. Then I rinsed it in tap water, not realizing the thing is hollow. When I went to use it, water spilled everywhere. After taking it apart and cleaning it, I no longer have the dividing line.

Back to your question, I got my online at Dr Smith and Foster. Cost $45 on sale, plus shipping.

Come to think of it, I wonder if they will exchange it for a new one. I cannot see how rinsing it with water would somehow brake it.

I broke my too. I accidentally dropped it in the tank. Then I rinsed it in tap water, not realizing the thing is hollow. When I went to use it, water spilled everywhere. After taking it apart and cleaning it, I no longer have the dividing line.

Back to your question, I got my online at Dr Smith and Foster. Cost $45 on sale, plus shipping.

Come to think of it, I wonder if they will exchange it for a new one. I cannot see how rinsing it with water would somehow brake it.

You should thank the reef gods that it broke.
After you've been in this a while you be saying to yourself,"why did I buy that useless thing?".I know I did.:rolleyes:

Bought one

Thanks for the helpful info, and yes I do thank the reef gods for now owning a refractometer! I hesitated buying one on line. I needed to be sure that I could see and be comfortable. Went to Skipton today, was showed the one that they have been using, bought it. Calibrated it, checked the water........things are good. Hey, the ole hydrometer was close, real close. Thanks again. Tom

You should thank the reef gods that it broke.
After you've been in this a while you be saying to yourself,"why did I buy that useless thing?".I know I did.:rolleyes:

I agree. Your lucky it broke because it would probably be way off and could harm your tank.

Back