I’m new BRS need help to setup my tank

Seahorse777

Non-member
Hello all, I’m new here and thinking to setup a 60 gallon cube tank that I’m going buy from Petco, please give me some advice. I’m try to do soft coral with some fish, any idea what light and filter?
Thanks

Hello all, I’m new here and thinking to setup a 60 gallon cube tank that I’m going buy from Petco, please give me some advice. I’m try to do soft coral with some fish, any idea what light and filter?
Thanks
Not to persuade you from purchasing from anywhere. Our sponsors will be able to offer so much more than Petco fortunately. Check out the following stores @All Things Aquatic @Blue Light Aquatics @LoveTheReef and @OSA

Last edited:
I agree. This is a hobby that you quickly learn petco might be cheaper, but the slight increase in cost is worth the knowledge, quality and experience at the other stores.

I like a 60 gallon tank, as a 2 ft cube it doesn't take up a ton of space but still gets you plenty of room to make a really interesting tank, with nice viewing on three sides. I definitely would prefer having a tank with a sump underneath where things like heaters, skimmers, filter socks could go so that they're not up in the display tank. A soft coral tank doesn't require the most expensive lights out there, one of the $165 w generic black boxes would work. There are plenty of options and I'm sure other people will give suggestions. One thing I would avoid is some of the lower powered LED lights which would work fine for soft corals but doesn't give you the opportunity to move into LPS or SPS. Before you purchase a light you can always post here for feedback on its suitability for the size tank you end up getting. Best of luck

Welcome to the BRS. That’s correct plenty of people here that will help you

Everyone is right about shopping local. furthermore, the 60 cube would either have to be drilled or hang out, I would buy a used setup. I think @LoveTheReef has a few. Dive right into a sump setup, you won’t be disappointed!

I like a 60 gallon tank, as a 2 ft cube it doesn't take up a ton of space but still gets you plenty of room to make a really interesting tank, with nice viewing on three sides. I definitely would prefer having a tank with a sump underneath where things like heaters, skimmers, filter socks could go so that they're not up in the display tank. A soft coral tank doesn't require the most expensive lights out there, one of the $165 w generic black boxes would work. There are plenty of options and I'm sure other people will give suggestions. One thing I would avoid is some of the lower powered LED lights which would work fine for soft corals but doesn't give you the opportunity to move into LPS or SPS. Before you purchase a light you can always post here for feedback on its suitability for the size tank you end up getting. Best of luck
Appreciate for your advice buddy, I like the idea go with sump underneath but that cube tank they don’t have the overflow build in. I know some people drill the hold on the back to make overflow, but I try to look the tank come with overflow and if someone know where to buy 1 please let me know.
Thanks

Thanks
Few comments:
- Petco often has $dollar per gallon type sales where you can get a tank for a great price so may be worth waiting for one of these sales to buy.
- 100% in favor of a sump. Petco's typically tanks aren't reef ready so either look for a tank that is or plan to drill yourself and add an overflow. A sump is a super useful thing to have.
- Make a plan before you start the tank. Figure out what you want to stock and go from there. A lot of people spend 2x more than they need to starting off trying to be cheap and then soon upgrade a ton of stuff, so start off with an end goal in mind. If you think for example you make want SPS later, I'd get good lighting and skimmer right off the bat.

Few comments:
- Petco often has $dollar per gallon type sales where you can get a tank for a great price so may be worth waiting for one of these sales to buy.
- 100% in favor of a sump. Petco's typically tanks aren't reef ready so either look for a tank that is or plan to drill yourself and add an overflow. A sump is a super useful thing to have.
- Make a plan before you start the tank. Figure out what you want to stock and go from there. A lot of people spend 2x more than they need to starting off trying to be cheap and then soon upgrade a ton of stuff, so start off with an end goal in mind. If you think for example you make want SPS later, I'd get good lighting and skimmer right off the bat.
Thank you for your comment, I’m try to see any BRS members have one for sale if not end up I have to buy from petco and drill myself to make overflow.

Thank you for your comment, I’m try to see any BRS members have one for sale if not end up I have to buy from petco and drill myself to make overflow.
As Biggie mentioned, you may also want to check with the sponsors as they may be able to order you a custom tank drilled/ reef ready if they don't have one already in stock.

Waterbox makes nice tanks too though may be above your target budget.

As Biggie mentioned, you may also want to check with the sponsors as they may be able to order you a custom tank drilled/ reef ready if they don't have one already in stock.

Waterbox makes nice tanks too though may be above your target budget.
Thanks, will check it out to see someone have it for sale.

Welcome to BRS. I'll happily help you install an overflow. Any kind in any tank that isn't tempered. In Foxboro and have a shop for tank building and light acrylic cutting/forming. I highly recommend Eshopps or Fiji Cube overflows for durable non-warping performance. I'm sure others are good, but I've not used them.
My shop isn't a business, it's for fun and love of the hobby. My offer is free, not looking to profit.

My only advice to you on buying equipment like lights or a skimmer is to not buy entry level junk you'll outgrow and regret in 6 months. Truth be told, you might not even want good lighting at first. Powerful lights are more likely to introduce to algae issues until things get established in your tank.

Best of luck in whatever direction you go!

Welcome to BRS. I'll happily help you install an overflow. Any kind in any tank that isn't tempered. In Foxboro and have a shop for tank building and light acrylic cutting/forming. I highly recommend Eshopps or Fiji Cube overflows for durable non-warping performance. I'm sure others are good, but I've not used them.
My shop isn't a business, it's for fun and love of the hobby. My offer is free, not looking to profit.

My only advice to you on buying equipment like lights or a skimmer is to not buy entry level junk you'll outgrow and regret in 6 months. Truth be told, you might not even want good lighting at first. Powerful lights are more likely to introduce to algae issues until things get established in your tank.

Best of luck in whatever direction you go!
Thank you for your help, I will let you know if I have any question.
Thanks again, I luv this forum because all you guy helpfu.

Back