New To Brs, And Need A Hand Please

hypo----is a mix, liquid, powder?

hypo is short for hyposalinity which means low salinity. sometimes if people have fish with ich (a type of parasite) they put the fish into a seperate tank and do a course of "hypo" which gets rid of the ich.

the biggest thing that will help you out will be to read the threads here. also, since you have a 12g you may want to read over at nano-reef.com or nanotank.com as they are geared towards nano tanks. reefcentral.com also has a nano section as well.

your the man Bob. see no hard feelings with the caps im telling you. You should see my old man write an email..its like

HE LLO,

BLAH BLAH BLAHH HI AND HELLO

BEST ,

OLD MAN CALLLESANO

with all the spaces in between as well ahaah

im hoping I never have that problem either. I just want to sail smooth and enjoy my new little tank and ponder when ill get my own place for my dream 400 gallon tank. (already designed) Im an architect : )

hypo is short for hyposalinity which means low salinity. sometimes if people have fish with ich (a type of parasite) they put the fish into a seperate tank and do a course of "hypo" which gets rid of the ich.

the biggest thing that will help you out will be to read the threads here. also, since you have a 12g you may want to read over at nano-reef.com or nanotank.com as they are geared towards nano tanks. reefcentral.com also has a nano section as well.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO much appreciated : ) Ill look into that , cuz God knows I need all the help I can get

Are you purchasing your water already mixed up,Joe?
If so what brand are you using?

No i am not, but i might do that because it seems to be easier and cleaner and hassle free. Skiptons has the salt water mixed and also had the reverse osmosis fresh water as well. ummmmmmmm salt mix brand..... i can check tonight and get back to you....everything for the tank so far has been purchased there and the SW fish guy points me in the right direction

No i am not, but i might do that because it seems to be easier and cleaner and hassle free. Skiptons has the salt water mixed and also had the reverse osmosis fresh water as well. ummmmmmmm salt mix brand..... i can check tonight and get back to you....everything for the tank so far has been purchased there and the SW fish guy points me in the right direction

Sounds good,glad to hear you're using RO water mixed up.I've never been to Skipton's,but heard good things about them.

I used my tap water first and put all the necessary de-chlorinators in to make it ok for use. BUT, in future I will plan on using there amenities and getting some RO water to use which is safer.

Phew,that's good.I was like,great already POed the new guy.:rolleyes:

Yeah,hyposalinity is just reducing the salt in the water mixture to make it hard for parasites.Something I hope you will never have to deal with my friend.

Yea, I had to do hypo twice in my old QT tank. a refractometer is ABSOLUTELY a must for doing hypo.

Joe,

Have you purchased any good reading material yet on the marine hobby?
I started out with Bob Fenner's book,The Conscientious Marine Aqaurist.
That book helped me so much when I first started.
There's always folks on here willing to lend a hand here also.It's a great rescource for info as well.

Just ordered that book online, should have it in a couple of days thank you for the reference

I used my tap water first and put all the necessary de-chlorinators in to make it ok for use. BUT, in future I will plan on using there amenities and getting some RO water to use which is safer.

Joe, I responded to your PM. With a nano, I'd use distilled. It's cheap. I do 2 gallons a week and about a gallon in auto top off. Thats about $2.50 a week in water. I get mine from Target. Algae will be a problem in a nano if you use tap, no matter how much you treat it and with that small water volume you will ned all the stability help you can get so don't handicap yourself right off the bat by using anything less than ideal water.

Also, while the store may have told you dump everything in and go cause it cured and "live", you need to remember you are dealing with a nano, not 100 gallons of tank volume. Your patience needs to be rediculous!!!! The hardest thing you will have to do is learn to walk away and let the tank be. Even the process of moving rock from the bag to the tank is enough to kill something and cause a small cycle. When I first started my 12G was VERY sensetive and took 2 months to cycle (started with dry sand and a LR rubble). Over a year now and I still add very slow.

Algae will be most responsive to minute changes. If the lighting spectrum even changes a hair in mine (MH lights) it is visible in the tank. Which means I change the lights, then wait a week or 2 to let the tank settle down again until I see signs of stability.

Temps swings will be an issue for you depending on where your tank is located in the house and the lighting you use. I have to run a chiller and a heater to keep the tank stable at 78-79. Of course your tank's tolerance for temp will be determined by what you plan to keep in it. I keep mostly SPS, so I need a relatively consistant temp with the lights I have. If I just had fish and some inverts, then I wouldn't care if my tank swung 5 degrees a day or so. Everyone's milage and opinions on this vary.

Like I said in the PM too, an auto top off will be your best friend in a nano. No need to spend $$$$ on an Tunze osmolator. They are nice, but I set mine up for less than $20 with a float switch and a little powerhead.

Joe, I responded to your PM. With a nano, I'd use distilled. It's cheap. I do 2 gallons a week and about a gallon in auto top off. Thats about $2.50 a week in water. I get mine from Target. Algae will be a problem in a nano if you use tap, no matter how much you treat it and with that small water volume you will ned all the stability help you can get so don't handicap yourself right off the bat by using anything less than ideal water.

Also, while the store may have told you dump everything in and go cause it cured and "live", you need to remember you are dealing with a nano, not 100 gallons of tank volume. Your patience needs to be rediculous!!!! The hardest thing you will have to do is learn to walk away and let the tank be. Even the process of moving rock from the bag to the tank is enough to kill something and cause a small cycle. When I first started my 12G was VERY sensetive and took 2 months to cycle (started with dry sand and a LR rubble). Over a year now and I still add very slow.

Algae will be most responsive to minute changes. If the lighting spectrum even changes a hair in mine (MH lights) it is visible in the tank. Which means I change the lights, then wait a week or 2 to let the tank settle down again until I see signs of stability.

Temps swings will be an issue for you depending on where your tank is located in the house and the lighting you use. I have to run a chiller and a heater to keep the tank stable at 78-79. Of course your tank's tolerance for temp will be determined by what you plan to keep in it. I keep mostly SPS, so I need a relatively consistant temp with the lights I have. If I just had fish and some inverts, then I wouldn't care if my tank swung 5 degrees a day or so. Everyone's milage and opinions on this vary.

Like I said in the PM too, an auto top off will be your best friend in a nano. No need to spend $$$$ on an Tunze osmolator. They are nice, but I set mine up for less than $20 with a float switch and a little powerhead.

to be honest I have no idea how to set up an auto top off. It would be lovely to learn all these tricks. The temp for my tank is really hard to keep constant. I have to use frozen water bottles to lower the temp sometimes, its a real drag. And i want fish and coral and all the good stuff in my little tank. And i cant afford a chiller right now. I dont want to get one for such a small tank, the chiller will be more than the tank itself. any opinions and info Id love ot hear more

There is an easier way.... but it would require you to have an open top and with a DX you are probably running the hood on top closed. You could mount a fan that blows on the surface of the water durring the day on a timer. The faster evaporation will cool the water somewhat. But, evap is faster so you will need an auto top off for that on a nano.

Do a search for Auto Top offs on this site. You will find plenty of good info and ideas. The idea is a float sitch controls a pump in a reservior full of fresh water. Evap takes water out of the aquarioum, drops the water level below the float switch, then turns on and fills the tank back to that level with fresh water. The Pic below shows mine (haven't cleaned back there in a while and there is a bunch of kalk buld up). Nothing fancy but it works like a charm.

By no means saying that this is THE way to go, just a simple solution that works for me.

There is an easier way.... but it would require you to have an open top and with a DX you are probably running the hood on top closed. You could mount a fan that blows on the surface of the water durring the day on a timer. The faster evaporation will cool the water somewhat. But, evap is faster so you will need an auto top off for that on a nano.

Do a search for Auto Top offs on this site. You will find plenty of good info and ideas. The idea is a float sitch controls a pump in a reservior full of fresh water. Evap takes water out of the aquarioum, drops the water level below the float switch, then turns on and fills the tank back to that level with fresh water. The Pic below shows mine (haven't cleaned back there in a while and there is a bunch of kalk buld up). Nothing fancy but it works like a charm.
IMG00097.jpg

IMG00100.jpg

Float Switch

By no means saying that this is THE way to go, just a simple solution that works for me.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back