I am really getting fed up with this southdown sand

Scuba_Dave said:
Fine sand is supposed to be best. Coarser substrate can trap detrius & harm the little critters that dig in the sand
There was some sort of report someone posted on this

That may be why my sand is always pure white. Everybody that views the tank asks "how do you keep your sand so clean looking" I think I just need a light layer of something on top to weight it down a bit.

What I may do is take out about 1-1 1/2" of the top layer and add something on top. I am going to head to the aquarium gallery today and talk with B :) I think he carries a carib sea sand that is a bit heavier but still has the look of fine sand.

this is the stuff I believe he carries

l_seaflor%20special.jpg

Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand 15, 40

1.25 - 1.95 mm diameter grain size. A revolution in reef-keeping! This is the one you?ve been reading about in all the hobbyist publications. This grade of aragonite is specifically engineered for plenum-type nitrate reducing beds or anywhere a deeper bed is called for. The pore water space created by precision grading also allows maximum pH support and dissolution of calcium carbonate.

I mixed that in with southdown in my last tank. It will actually mix down in the sand leaving southdown as the top layer.

Back