I have a few questions about media reactors and media. Help?

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
I'm thinking about getting a BRS media reactor either in dual. or single running both GFO and carbon.

Now, for a 40g breeder, would it be better if I ran one single with GFO on the bottom separated by the filter thingy and carbon on top, or would it be better to have the dual reactor and have each in it's own separate container?

Also, do I run carbon 24/7?
GFO 24/7?

I have read mixed opinions online but I trust in the opinions of members on here I know over the opinions of random people on random other sites.

Here is what I was thinking:
BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor Deluxe: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-reactor-deluxe.html
BRS Bulk Premium ROX 0.8 Aquarium Carbon: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html
BRS Bulk GFO Granular Ferric Oxide: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-bulk-gfo-granular-ferric-oxide.html

Do I have the right idea?

Or maybe two separate reactors ran off one pump with a Y-Fitting and ball valves? --shrugs--

And what type of pump(s) should be used?

Last edited:
I run dual carbon and one gfo but I have 300g total water volume. I think you would get better performance out of a dual reactor setup. That way you can control flow to each one.

get seperate reacter for each if u have the room.I run them 24/7.Start out at half the gfo the brs recommend.I use a maxi jet 900 to feed the carbon then as the water exit,it goes into the gfo reacter

So HuuTa, you have two separate reactors connected in line? Like the exit from the carbon reactor, goes into the entrance of the GFO reactor?

So the both of you are suggesting this one? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-reactor-dual.html

I have a huge amount of room under my tank thankfully so any option should be viable. Hell I can fit an RO/DI unit in there with an ATO if I really wanted lol.

I just got the Dual BRS Reactor with Cobalt MJ1200; actually sitting in the box on the floor next to me. Reasons I bought the dual over just the single or two singles:

- Cheaper to buy the dual than two singles
- Easy enough add another pump later to run them separately
- Easier to change media with them being in separate containers

Once KidsX go to bed I'm going to open it up and see where I want to put it. Probably put it on-line tomorrow.

I'm also curious about how long people run them each day, how much media they go through, and how often I should be changing it.

I just got the Dual BRS Reactor with Cobalt MJ1200; actually sitting in the box on the floor next to me. Reasons I bought the dual over just the single or two singles:

- Cheaper to buy the dual than two singles
- Easy enough add another pump later to run them separately
- Easier to change media with them being in separate containers

Once KidsX go to bed I'm going to open it up and see where I want to put it. Probably put it on-line tomorrow.

I'm also curious about how long people run them each day, how much media they go through, and how often I should be changing it.

Wondering how you'd add another pump to run them separately???

I know you just got it, but you'll have to let me know what you think about it!

Wondering how you'd add another pump to run them separately???

I know you just got it, but you'll have to let me know what you think about it!

I'm pretty sure you can just separate the two chambers... I'll know for sure a little later once I get the kids to bed and open it up.

I'm pretty sure you can just separate the two chambers... I'll know for sure a little later once I get the kids to bed and open it up.

You got the one with the Cobalt MJ1200? I've heard a few people say that pump is overkill, and others say it's not enough and clogs, but I wonder how much truth is behind that statement. I mean, there's an adjustment valve at the entrance to the reactors... Lol.

Last edited:
all u need is another pump and the tubing.This remind me i need to change my media out tomorrow

I opened up the box and got it set up in about 10-15 minutes (minus the media).

Here's some pics:

DualReactor1.jpg

DualReactor2.jpg

DualReactor3.jpg

You can see I spilled a little water. First was from the input side on the left... I tried to plug the hose in while it was screwed to the wall. I couldn't quite get in there with the return pump plumbing in the way and it leaked a bit. I had to take it off then connect that line.

Tomorrow I'll figure out how much media to add and get it running for real.

Another question I have... if I decide not to run the reactor 24x7 are there issues with leaving it off for say 24 hours?

ETA - Forgot to mention... if you wanted to turn this into two separate reactors you'd have to remove the two chambers from the mounting bracket and then unscrew the two reactors from each other. They are joined very closely with a screw-type fitting.

I run the BRS dual reactor and am happy with it. The only thing I didn't care for was the up flow on the carbon chamber would cause the carbon to want to tumble.

I took the reactor apart and reversed the carbon canister. Now the flow goes upward in the GFO part so that can tumble and downward in the carbon part so that will not tumble.

You can also take them apart and spin the canisters 90* and split the pump output to each canister individually to get independent flow control.

The reactors can still be mounted on the same bracket no matter what configuration you have them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what does everyone run in the reactors for media and for how long before you have to change it?

On brs website is the standard GFO brown in color? What's the difference between there brown and black?

The darker one is a high capacity GFO that can absorb close to twice as much PO4. It's main use is for reactors where you can't fit much media but need a good amount of filtration still. It's over twice the price though for not even twice the strength so unless you have t mix GFO and GAC, it's best to get the regular one and just change it at recommended intervals.

The light brown is standard GFO.

Back