I made a noobie mistake!!

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
For the past week, my PH probe was out of wack and needed a calibration. I bought the necessary fluids and I thought I knew how to calibrate so I didn't bother with the instruction. lol.
Well, when I was calibrating the PH 7.0, I notice my reading was something like 7.46, I was like crap.....the probe is done! Took it out and clean it and calibrate the PH 7.0 again and it was still the same. And here come the costly mistake. .....I chucked the probe. For for a couple of days I ran without a PH probe.

I finally bought a new probe yesterday and this time when I was calibrating the PH 7.0, it still was reading 7.3something and not 7.0. I was like wtf! Did I just bought a bad probe. Took it out, cleaned it and calibrated again and it was the same. Then it finally struck me. I AM CALIBRATING NOT TAKING A READING!!! so I did the PH 10.0 and it was something like 10.23, finished the calibration and hit run and tested the PH 7.0 and viola! 7.0!! Tested the 10.0 and viola! 10.0.
Damn I think I just threw out a perfectly good probe!

Last edited:
Ugh, that hurts. It reminds me of the time I thought my Alk test was broken because it couldn't show me my alk level. Turns out it was just through the roof :rolleyes:

Back