ID Please?? Red leaf type thing!

ScottyD

Non-member
I bought this tank already going and it came with a hair algae issue which I been dealing with. Well this red leaf looking thing I kind of noticed when that rock was covered is still there and I have no clue what it is?

Thanks in advance!

http://gallery.me.com/scott.peets

I looked at tons of pics of feather dusters just in case there was a different kind than I know about and I cannot find anything like this. I have yet to see this thing move or retract into a tube. It is flat and solid with the pointy top area. It is anchored to the rock so I'm assuming its more than just debris.

can you get a better pic of it? maybe closer up? Not that I'll be able to id but it might help the more experience peeps.

hard to say, I've never seen a feather duster with such dark color & it would be cool if it was. I agree a closer pic would help.

..on another note whats up with that hammer/frogspawn? It doesn't look so good.

It is one of the red macroalgaes. Nothing to worry about. As a matter of fact, I encourage it in one of my tanks as it is a beautiful red leafy algae. If you don't like it, pull it off.

Thanks for the input. I think Ill let it be for now. I bought the tank from someone already setup and he let it go and stuff started to die. I been cleaning things up and trying to get everything straight. The poor Hammer was too far along I guess and is now dead. There are 2 heads still alive which I'm going to frag off soon and a third little guy about a half in long and about an 1/8th dia. You can see it in the pics. So I hope to salvage them three!!

I bought one of these about 1 year ago
attachment.php

it resembles a tubeworm in a small white casing
mine are all on one lr piece and retract just like the others
I have seen others starting a new home in my tank as well, maybe 2 over the year I have had it
I dont feed it, just whats in the water column

You know, I have a bunch of these that cropped up on the side of rock. It's hard to see in your pick -- but yours doesn't seem to have distinct tentacles but a bushy head for a feather worm. Mine have tentacles like some small anemones (hopefully not bad ones).

Back