Ideal Alk and how slow to raise it.

Ya that is what he is doing, Casey you want to add it so you get no snowstorm, if you get one your levels are going to drop
Try to dilute it then add it to your tank a little slower. I try to keep my alk high but with the demand in my tank I am always fighting it.

cA IS STILL BEING DIALED IN BY THE REACTOR...CURRENTLY ITS IN THE 400'S I HAVE TO TEST IT TONIGHT CAUSE IM TRYING TO GET IT TO 450 WITH THE REACTOR. SO I DONT HAVE AN ACCURATE MEASUREMENT AS IT GOES UP AND DOWN AS IM DIALING IN THE REACTOR.

NateHanson said:
oh, I see. So you regularly keep your Alk at 5-6 meq/L (14-17 dKH) Casey? Where do you keep your Ca with Alk that high?

ray is correct but my ca was high so I wanted it to come down slightly. like i said im still dialing in the reactor. I already diluted it but i guess I will have to dilute it even more. But it was raising alk and lowering Ca which is what I wanted at that time ...

I guess there was info you needed to know before hand...

I stated with ALK low (5meg/l) im trying to get to 11

I started with CAL high (450+)

I am trying to get the levels as following Ca 425-450 and ALK 11meg/L

Once i get the levels to that in the tank im going to test it daily, adding in the reactor till the point the reactor can compensate and maintain that on its own.

At leasts thast the way I was told to dial it in.

----------------------------------------------------------------
So the snow was bringing Cal down into the range I wanted and the alk was still going up slightly? Does this seem wrong. I cant imagine how much more I would have to delute it cause one drop equals a snow flake.

Thanks for the help, maybe this will help get an idea of what im doing...or supposed to be doing ;)

Last edited:
What solution are you adding that is causing the mini snowstorm? I usually disolve a couple teaspoons of baking soda in a cup of tank water, and when I add that it doesn't cause any problems. Maybe you were getting the snowstorm because you're calcium was so high. (although to be honest, I'm bumping my alkalinity up right now from 3.6 to 4.0, and my Ca is 480).

Personally i'd avoid snowstorms as a method of bringing ca down, because I would fear the mini snowstorm would tip off a major snowstorm in the whole tank, and that would cause ca and alk levels to suddenly drop, and that could stress your corals.

Maybe the snowstorm is just what he uses to describe the effect of adding the alk portion of those 2-part additives?
Some alk supplements make a white cloud in the tank when added.

That's not the dreaded snowstorm of CaCO3 precipitating out of the water.

Moe_K said:
Maybe the snowstorm is just what he uses to describe the effect of adding the alk portion of those 2-part additives?
Some alk supplements make a white cloud in the tank when added.

That's not the dreaded snowstorm of CaCO3 precipitating out of the water.

Moe correct, only adding alk of the bionic 2 part solution.

not using the calcium because its already high enough.

Casey- How did this go? How fast did you raise your Alk?
I'm in the same situation. I have too high Calcium and too low Alk. I'm trying to raise my Alk but not sure how slow/fast i can/should do it. I have been using the alk part of the two parts and baking soda too.
Thanks

Abby, you can safely raise alk at least a couple of dKH each day, keeping an eye on pH to make sure it's not raising too fast. And if your calcium is too high, just let it slowly drop (due to being taken up by corals) by not adding a calcium supplement for a while.

Before I got my calcium reactor (ie, before last week :D) I was dosing alk+Ca (b-ionic) every other day, and each time I would be dosing enough alk to raise the level about 2 dKh (from around 8 to around 10 dKH).

Btw, if the values of alk and Ca are very unbalanced and you can't seem to reestablish a reasonable equilibrium, you may have an ionic imbalance in the tank, and you'd need to do a few water changes to restore the chemical balance. I don't have personal experience with this specific issue, just passing along what I've read as it may be the cause of your high calcium / low alk.

Nuno

I agree with nuno

you can raise alk a few dkh /day, but i opted to do it slow and make sure your ph doesnt climb too quickly.

once it stabalized i added calcuim to get it in check, I used b ionic though not randy's mix.

Keep in mind i was doing it at the same time I was tweaking the ca reactor...if using additives you can bring each up a little each day, again I chose to go slowly on a stocked tank.

Yeah, thanks, i think i have read all his articles on this. My head was hurting the other day afterwards :D

All I'm worried about is my fish...all my corals look horrible if not dead already. I'm just wondering if a quick rise would help save the last corals...cause obviously the levels now are killing them. But i dont want to kill any fish.

I've been adding enough alk additives to raise it 1-2 dKH a day. Usually more like 1 dKH, so i will try for 2 now. The tank doesnt seem to show that much improvement, but i also havent been home except for a 1/2 hr or so a day.

Hopefully i can check levels tonight.
Last i checked they were
Cal- 500
Alk 3 meq/L

thanks

Cal- 500
Alk 3 meq/L

thats not that bad I have a link to a conversion table with a target range that Moe gave me several times. I will post it when I get home, but 3 meg/l sounds correct. if it were 3dKH it would be a different story.

well Randys chart thing says I'm in section 4
and to correct that i need to raise alk and let calcium come down on its own

i dunno but something is seriously wrong w/ my tank :confused:

are you using oceanic salt, i have heard that it keeps calc in the low 500's

but really your numbers dont look that bad, I wouldn't add any more and see what it does...perhaps get alk in the correct range and let the tank consume the calcium.

Everything I have read says calc of around 500 wont hurt anything..

Hmmm...I have the opposite problem. My Alk is 15dkh, calcium is 500 and my ph won't stay above 8.2 unless I dose kalk. I'm not sure what's going on but I shut off my CA reactor thinking that too much CO2 is getting in the water and preventing the PH from being stable. Funny, just started happening when I switched from IO to Oceanic salt!

Back