Identify Please...

chuck

why why why
Can anyone tell me what this stuff is growing in my tank?

it looks really cool, and I have both green and red...

Attachments

• macro.JPG
    macro.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 169
The green is Dictyopheris, the redf is Dichotomous. Both do well in good water conditions and Sprung says they help to improve water conditions (good for fuge). The red is a favorite of tangs but the green isn't eaten by many fish at all.
They'll both grow fast and be a problem in the display. I'd pull them out and put them in the fuge.

Thanks One Eye... Once I get my fuge set up they will be moved post haste....

I got one more if anyone knows what it is

it seems to be growing vines and kinda looks like clover

Attachments

• mystery.JPG
    mystery.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 165
That is 2 different algeas. The feathery stuff is Bryopsis..get it out!! The other stuff is Caulerpa, not as bad as Bryopsis but get it out anyway. Pull them by hand and if you can, remove the rock and scrub it then rinse it. The bryopsis is living off detrious in/on your rock.

Wow, that's quite a garden that you have in there ;)

I'll second what OneEye said, get it all out before it becomes a problem... I had one species of algae (don't remember which off the top of my head) in my old nano-tank that I thought was pretty cool at first, until it started spreading like a weed... and it's much harder to remove after you have corals on the rocks.

Nuno

The vine one is calupera peletada (i'm sure that is spelled wrong) I didn't have trouble getting that out of the main tank when I wanted to. It might be a good idea to move it off the rocks though because it will cling on pretty good. It isn't a problem getting it off the sand. It likes to grow up corners too which can look pretty. This is a great nutrient export with one problem. It can "go sexual" which means that it turns clear and disolves releasing all of the nutrients at once. This can cause a mess of an alge bloom. I found that in my tank the calupera peletada generally went sexual in small pieces which wasn't a problem. Just get it out if it starts turning clear,.

Back