IF I went fish only

stang8s

Cyber P
So if I went fish only. I assume I could:
1) get rid of my halides and just get a couple NO flourecents. correct?
2) get rid of my reactor. Would I still need to worry about calcium/alk levels? If I sold the reactor would i have to dose anything to keep these up??
3) Could I lose my sump and skimmer? Would I still need a skimmer? could I use a small hang on ???
4) Get rid of my fuge.

deffinitly can get rid of the halides, but I think a skimmer would still be helpfull, some people don't use them though

Halides not needed. NO's will work fine.
No reactor needed. Maybe a little baking soda and a little Dowflake every 4 or 5 weeks might be added to foster coraline algae growth.
I'd keep the skimmer.
I'd keep the 'fuge too.

I'd second what Moe said, you don't really have to worry about CA levels if you're FO, your big concern will be filtration. If you keep your LR and skimmer that should do the trick but the fuge will only help things.

Jeff, I used my BakPak IIR on the 75 before I bought the Euroreef. It was skimming, but not nearly as efficient as I needed.

Dave

With FO you could probably make up for a less efficient skimmer, like a bak pak 2, with a big HOB or canister filter. But then water changes might be needed more often than if you kept your fuge and better skimmer.

The other problem, maybe is that most of my rock is covered in xenia, Green star polyps, other various polyps.. If i downgrade to NO lights I wonder if the die off will polute everything??

I dunno im still leaning towards cichlids but the FO idea is interesting. I just dont want anything that has tough feeding requirements . Id love an eel but im too lazy to feed it...

trade your rock for other live rock, im sure it would be a quick trade. or sell yours and buy more rock.

and if you get fish that eat flake food you can add an auto feeder. is it sounding any better yet?

I'm actually leaning towards a FOwLR and softies for my next tank - the big tank (if possible). I like the fish better then the SPS. And lower light means lower electric bills
If I do this on the big tank it's quite possible I will redo the 125 the same way. Or install the 180g...or a 210...dunno....

bak pac 2 would work good how big and how many fish do you think you could put in a 75g.keep it simple strip lights get rid of the fuge then its almost the same work as a fresh water tank doing a mix every now and then isnt to hard you should be used to it I have a 210fowler you are welcome to stop buy and see it

Back