If you own an RO...

Piscevore

elsewhere
you should go out and buy a booster pump. Right now. Wake up, and buy a GD booster pump. I have decent pressure, a new RO unit will see 40-50 psi depending upon who is washing what in our building. I bought a pump at our last place, becase what had very poor pressure. At this house, it wasn't bad so I never really worried too much.

I just setup my booster pump from Marianne at AquaFX....this thing doubles or triples the output of water from my RO unit. Its simply amazing.

Yeah, but you won't ever get more than what the GPD rating on it is and still have it filtered as well. I have a 110 GPD unit that is producing 100GPD for me. I don't think it's worth the money for an extra 10GPD.

Yes booster pump is the way to go if you have low water pressure. My house is set at 35-45 psi. Well pump, older house. With a booster pump on my Kent 60 GPD RO/DI it will go from drip, drip, drip w/o pump to a steady stream w/pump.

I have about 75 psi in my house and it is in between a "drip, drip" and a steday stream. It takes about 3 hours for 5 gallons. Do you think one of these would significantly speed things up. I have a 100gpd unit.....

If you're only getting 5 gallons in 3 hours on 75 PSI there may be something wrong with your unit.

I had a bad carbon cartridge once that killed my output of water. Walter from Air Water & Ice said he says the problem every so often.

Edit: The tempature of the water going into the unit makes a huge difference also.

Last edited:
ReeferMedic said:
I have about 75 psi in my house and it is in between a "drip, drip" and a steday stream. It takes about 3 hours for 5 gallons. Do you think one of these would significantly speed things up. I have a 100gpd unit.....
75 psi is pretty good. The booster pump only brings it up to 95 psi I believe. 3hr/5gal figures out to be 40 gal/day. Not to good from a 100 gal/day unit. Are you sure your house is 75 psi? Is there any other restrictions? What is your produced to waste ratio? How much to get waste as compared to the 5 gallons produced? There might be other problems. What is your TSD level? Is it an RO or a RO/DI unit? Also water temp has a big role as to how much you can produce. Most units are rated at an input temp of 75*F. If the water is cold, then product amounts will be lower. I have a diy coil setup on mine. Copper tubbing coiled in a bucket with a heater in it. I use copper instead of the poly tube people use coil up, beacuse you can coil it so there are spaces between the coils, and that along with the copper, you get better heat transfer.

Last edited:
I need a pressure gauge. :( And/Or a low cost booster pump. Why do they have to be so darn tootin expensive. :mad:

Member No. 1 said:
3hr/5gal figures out to be 40 gal/day. Not to good from a 100 gal/day unit.

It's actually not that bad because you need to factor in the water temperature... see, for instance, http://www.spectrapure.com/faq_p3.htm
At a temperature of, say, 50 F the output will be reduced by a factor of 0.62, so a 100gpd membrane will only be able to produce a maximum of 62gpd... and that is assuming that the tap water TDS is not too high, which will limit production further.

Nuno

Back