Building my own sump

Seadna

Officer
BRS Member
Picked up a 75 drilled tank from a member on here! currently working out the thought process of building a 29 gal sump for in the stand. Was thinking about buying the 29gal Fiji baffle sump kit. Any recommendations before making that purchase? Would love to have a refugium, pros cons to them? Will be transferring my current 54 gal corner reef tank to this new tank and sump

When I had my 75 a 20 long was the perfect size to fit into the factory stand and the height made it easy to do maintenance. They sell all kinds of kits to make them into sumps too. Loved my refugium, used to have tons of cheato which pods and other critters flourish in. Super easy with the right light and water flow.

When I had my 75 a 20 long was the perfect size to fit into the factory stand and the height made it easy to do maintenance. They sell all kinds of kits to make them into sumps too. Loved my refugium, used to have tons of cheato which pods and other critters flourish in. Super easy with the right light and water flow.
Ordered a 29 gal Fiji baffle kit, the 29 gal gives me about 4-5 inches from the top of the stand, can get my arm in and to the bottom. Think I should re route and go with the 20 gal long instead?

20 long makes a perfect sump. You will want clearance between your stand and sump. The Fiji cube kit is very nice; That’s actually the combo I’m running on the system I am setting up right now.

20 long makes a perfect sump. You will want clearance between your stand and sump. The Fiji cube kit is very nice; That’s actually the combo I’m running on the system I am setting up right now.
Wonder if I should cancel my 29 gal Fiji baffle
Yes. You need more head space if you want to have a skimmer or any reactor in it. The 20 long would accommodate everything you need even a fuge.
thanks guys! Cancelling the 29gal kit and reordering the 20 gal long one. Guess I’ll keep the 29 as my new QT tank lol!

Wonder if I should cancel my 29 gal Fiji baffle

thanks guys! Cancelling the 29gal kit and reordering the 20 gal long one. Guess I’ll keep the 29 as my new QT tank lol!
Sorry I didnt check back in on this, Good call! With the 29, I dont think youd be able to get equipment in and out, especially something like a skimmer body, to do maintenance. Check to see if PetCo is doing their $1 a gallon sale, a 20 long for $20 is pretty hard to beat!

That would be awesome! Is it one of the Fiji diy kits with the refugium area?
No diy here it is .
It has a refugium area also
Its in really good condition
I just went bigger and I had it on an 80 gal

Attachments

• 20220911_075108.jpg
    20220911_075108.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 89
No diy here it is .
It has a refugium area also
Its in really good condition
I just went bigger and I had it on an 80 gal
This is a proper DIY! No kit, just plexiglass, silicone sealant and a good design. Looks awesome. OP got pretty lucky

Back