I'm Back-and my 6 mos no maintenence post

Status
Not open for further replies.
After he was kicked while he was down? Dunno...I hope so. There are always priorities in life and sometimes hobbies have to be put on the back burner for a while.

dedfish said:
After he was kicked while he was down? Dunno...I hope so. There are always priorities in life and sometimes hobbies have to be put on the back burner for a while.
I agree with you to an extent. First off I totally agree that careful neglect is good for your tank. Not only does it let stuff be, but it helps it build up a tolerence for small mistakes. I can also understand being busy to the point that you don't have time to break down a tank. And If you can deal with the stink then so be it. But, IMO, if you have the time to top it off with water, then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to at least give the fish away to someone.

pets

dedfish said:
As a pet owner I feel it's my moral responsibility to care for the animals I have chosen to keep in captivity.

i definately agree with dedfish
its a moral responsability to care for your pets needs

also maybe it is wrong taking them out of their environment for our personal
entertainment?, but i think were doing them a favor most of the time by giving them a home with free food :) would you exploit that opertunity?
it's not like were making them our slaves!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had several flasher wrasses, six line wrasses, fire gobies...a damsel or 2 mop my floors.

Most people here are very passionate about their pets.
That's no excuse to insult or offend.
Please contain your passion.
Disparaging posts will be edited and the poster reminded of the User Agreement.

I even put a Damsel in my Mantis tank just because I didn't like the Damsel...unfortunately my Mantis is a WHIMP!! The Damsel rules the tank :rolleyes:

<Rant>

I don't mean to force my views on anyone. I know I took my fish out of the ocean. I just can't imagine that swimming in your own wastes for months is healthy.

We as -conscientious- reef keepers try to mimic the ocean as well as we can to make these living creatures thrive /as if/ they _were_ in the ocean.

It bugs me that if I took a cute little puppy, threw him in a cage, starved him and left him in his waste, people would be all over it. But a fish doesn't have feelings so it isn't any more hurtful or wrong.

PJ, growing your own food in the tank, feeding very infrequently in certain circumstances to reduce nutrient loads, etc etc, these things are all FINE and when done in good faith that you are acting appropriately.

What I will not tolerate is -knowing- and -blatant- neglect. Not to mention then bragging about it.

I am writing these things because I don't want a new reefer to get the idea that these things are OK or that they can do these types of things in good concious and get some nod of approval. They won't on this board, at least not from me.

</Rant>

Well, on the plus side he has some Xenia he may want to thin out.
And I know my tank has "suffered" from 2nd floor contruction.
It happens, more then one person has gone thru this
Initial reaction is bad, but given the same circumstances we could all be in the same boat

Glad to hear you arre going to turn the tank around.I've been fighting problems for about 6 months - algae right now

Good luck

Obviously this is a touchy subject. But they are our slaves like it or not. Some are over
zealous in their care and some are down right abusive.
We lose fish and corals and inverts to unknowns all the time. "Was it something we did?
Something we missed?"...maybe..maybe not. I say don't judge unless you're prepared to be judged.
I say welcome back. And hopefully the situation is such that that you can create a healthy and happy environment for you tankmates.
-Eric

PJ, growing your own food in the tank, feeding very infrequently in certain circumstances to reduce nutrient loads, etc etc, these things are all FINE and when done in good faith that you are acting appropriately.

What I will not tolerate is -knowing- and -blatant- neglect. Not to mention then bragging about it.

I am writing these things because I don't want a new reefer to get the idea that these things are OK or that they can do these types of things in good concious and get some nod of approval. They won't on this board, at least not from me.

</Rant>[/QUOTE]
i know this is a reef site but
im also an avid fisherman sometimes when im fishing ive seen people
slaming fish on the rocks for excitement,and i wonder if they would like their heads bashed on the rocks

All right, I'm going to be kind of harsh here....

How many of us have killed more of our animals than Harley listed? Dead is dead! If we put them in our tank and they die, we killed them! Doesn't matter if they were sick, eaten by a tankmate, jumped on the floor, burned by new MHs, or sucked into a powerhead. We killed them. Do you think our "intentions" matter to them when they are dead?

good intentions

shawn said:

How many of us have killed more of our animals than Harley listed? Dead is dead! If we put them in our tank and they die, we killed them! Doesn't matter if they were sick, eaten by a tankmate, jumped on the floor, burned by new MHs, or sucked into a powerhead. We killed them. Do you think our "intentions" matter to them when they are dead?

the difference is most of us have good intentions!!!
i admit ive lost 3 fish and 2 corals when i first started

Last edited:
PRTA79 said:
slaming fish on the rocks for excitement,and i wonder if they would like their heads bashed on the rocks
I call people like that "Monkeys". Acting like that is beyond stupidity, no matter how old or young you are. There are lots of "Monkeys" out in this world, and I try to ignore them. I am amazed more and more every day at how many stupid people surround me. Don't get me wrong...I'm not the brightest guy out there, but I can't believe how many people get by in life with the way they think. With the way society "protects" everyones feelings these days, I have a feeling there will be lots more to come too.

shawn said:

Not to sound harsh, but that's crazy talk. Lets say a friend of yours accidently ran over a kid that was hiding under their car. Would you look at them the same way as if the locked them in a closet and starved them to death? Dead is dead, right?

smcnally said:
Not to sound harsh, but that's crazy talk. Lets say a friend of yours accidently ran over a kid that was hiding under their car. Would you look at them the same way as if the locked them in a closet and starved them to death? Dead is dead, right?

this is a good debate!!
either way no hard feelings! to each his or her own right!!!

QUOTE]
slaming fish on the rocks for excitement,and i wonder if they would like their heads bashed on the rocks[/QUOTE]

I fish every chance I get! My son and I go to the same pond (which I just moved 10 minutes away from :)) every opening day. First trout caught gets practicly mangled...we have to do our ritual to ensure a good season of fishing. We each have the same hat, the fish gets rubbed on it (while it's on our head) the scales left bring good luck with the trout Gods. It goes from one end of the boat to the other, bringing luck, the sacrificial trout!!
I (and I bet you to) have no problem what so ever turning a trout inside out to retrieve my favorite lure, granted the fish is going to get very personal with my frying pan very soon but I think you see my point...It's just a freakin fish club, therefore...it's just a freakin fish!!

I am not saying that I don't care about the animals we keep I'm just saying....relax, chill...it's all good.

PRTA 79, 3 fish and 2 corals? Good for you!! That is awesome, I hope your luck keeps up! I've had tank crashes that took out more than that in a couple hours. :rolleyes:

smcnally said:

Kind of like accidentally hitting a fish with your motor boat and killing it vs. capturing it and putting it an a glass box filled with water, where, since it is in shock, it doesn't eat and starves to death?

You didn't set that up, did you? ;)

Don't get me wrong - I have a reef tank and I have killed my share of animals. I take it that seriously though - if I put them in my tank and they die (of anything other than old age), I know that I killed them. I would suggest that to think otherwise would be irresponsible.

I (and I bet you to) have no problem what so ever turning a trout inside out to retrieve my favorite lure, granted the fish is going to get very personal with my frying pan very soon but I think you see my point...It's just a freakin fish club, therefore...it's just a freakin fish!!

I am not saying that I don't care about the animals we keep I'm just saying....relax, chill...it's all good.

PRTA 79, 3 fish and 2 corals? Good for you!! That is awesome, I hope your luck keeps up! I've had tank crashes that took out more than that in a couple hours. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

i agree but i wont kill it unless i intend on eating it!!!
and dont jinx me im still a rookie reef keeper
alright i have to go feed my fish and test ph, ill make sure to practice catch and release tonight alright :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back