I'm going to be upgrading my heater and i'm looking for suggestions.

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
So the 150W heater I currently use is too low-quality for me. I feel like i'm constantly adjusting it and it never seems to keep a steady temperature. It's just a pain and a real cheapo heater with no actual numbered temperature settings so it's always confusing trying to adjust it. I was looking for some recommendations.

Trying to find either a heater with numbered settings so I know exactly what temp i'm setting it to, or a heater that has a digital control that displays the temperature I have it set to and/or the current true temp of the tank. I know JBJ has a 150W for $100 but that seems steep (IDK if it's really worth it's price?) and I know that Fluval makes a E Series 200W heater for around $50, but it's kinda ugly and IDK how I feel about having a big LED display in my tank.

Was wondering what other companies make reliable heaters with numbered settings and/or digital controls?

EDIT: And yes, I know, everyone asks heater questions all the time and it always seems to be similar answers, but my questions are somewhat more specific on what i'm looking for, plus IDK if there's any new products out.

Last edited:
I use 2 100w Jager heaters. I have had them for years with no problems.

yeah I was looking at the Jagers myself. Are there numbered settings so you know exactly what temp you're set to? I also heard they need a heat shield that's only sold separate?

If you don't want to spend the money for a digital controller such as a Ranco, I'd go with an Ebo. Don't ever believe the numbered settings lol. You usually have to play around a bit...starting off on the lower end and turning it up. It has been a long time since I've used one but you maybe able to manually adjust it so the numbers are "right" in the end.

You probably don't want to hear this, but a reefkeeper lite is only $100, then you can accurately control any heater, AND you would also have 3 more controllable outlets and lots of expandability potential.

I have 1, maybe 2 100w jager heater for sale--$10 each lemme know
they are in very good condition and were bought new 8 months ago

I use a Hydor ETH 200 watt In Line heater. The good thing about the in line heaters is that you dont have to look at them. I use it for my 55 gallon and it is more than enough and it ALWAYS keeps my tank at 78 degrees. I highly recommend this heater. Very good quality for the money.

A controller is your best option if you can afford it, as it will make ANY heater reliable providing it doesn't leak stray voltage.

If you don't want to shell out the cash for a controller then I'll agree with the above that Ebo is a great choice. FME they really do stand up to the test of time. $10 each posted above is a great deal.

Fluval E-series, I run a Reefkeeper also to control it. The display on the heater is nice, blue if the temp is low, red if temp is high and green means temp is good. Also will display LF if the heater is not getting enough flow.

You probably don't want to hear this, but a reefkeeper lite is only $100, then you can accurately control any heater, AND you would also have 3 more controllable outlets and lots of expandability potential.

You Sir, just might be on to something...

I was going to sugggest one as well(controller). Mine stay at the exact temp I set it at. Doesnt move up, or down. Like John said a RKlite can be had for $99

I use a Hydor ETH 200 watt In Line heater. The good thing about the in line heaters is that you dont have to look at them. I use it for my 55 gallon and it is more than enough and it ALWAYS keeps my tank at 78 degrees. I highly recommend this heater. Very good quality for the money.

i have a eth in my 29 gallon planted tank and love it! most constant temp ever!

i have a Fluval E 200 in my sump on my biocube and thats great also.......(the led display isnt bright....with the light on cant even see it, you just see numbers)

I'd +1 on the idea of a controller like the reefkeeper (a great budget friendly option). Just plug in your heater and temp sensor for the controller, set up some parameters, and you are good to go. The controller will turn it on if it gets too cold, and turn things off if it gets too hot. If the heater gets stuck on, the controller will simply cut power to the heater. A heater that is stuck on, will work fine with a controller.. as the heater no longer determines when it should or should not be on.

With my Apex I set up logic something like this. I'm sure you can do this with any controller.

If temp <78 heat on
If temp >79 heat off
If temp <76 signal a warning (sends email)
If temp >82 signal a warning (sends email)
If temp <70 heat off *explained below
If temp >80 turn on tank cooling fan.
If temp >83 turn off tank lights, turn on moonlights (reduce heat on tank).
etc

The reason for "<70 heat off" is a safety measure. Assuming your home's ambient temp is 68 degrees. Think if your temperature sensor somehow falls out of the tank, fails, or somehow gets above the water line. Your controller would think... 'turn the heat on and leave it on!'. Meanwhile your tank will boil and the controller won't know any better. Its not perfect... but it is a layer of safety.

BTW - I use a common Stealth Pro. It is cheap. The first one I bought failed out of the box. The second one is working fine. These can be hit or miss... most people have no issues, but I have heard of them failing on the various boards.

Back