I'm looking to get some possible in wall suggestions...

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
The wife and I are throwing around the idea of biulding a tank into a wall in the bottom level of our finished split entry house. I know a lot of you guys are pretty talented and have tons of ideas you could possible give us. We are in luck that where we want to put the tank is next to a room that was once a dark room for the previous owner so it is finish like a kitchen with sink & cabinets etc...

I guess what I am looking for is somebody with experienced building backround for this sort of thing to maybe swing over and drop some ideas for us. I am a bit handy around the house but this is more than I have ever attemped.

I think it is feasable with the proper planning. Hell the more I look at this it is a perfect place to have such a setup.

go for the biggest tank you can fit in that space, you will thank yourself later.

I am in your boat, just a little further along... I have a 120 gallon that I am building into a dividing wall. Nate actually stopped by today to offer advice (thanks Nate!)

It is doable, but planning is a HUGE part of it. Figure out how you are going to do the frame out work ahead of time. That will make life much easier.

Too far North for me. Post measuremenst of the room, details, maybe some pics? What you want to do.
Make a list of what you want to do.
Lights - how many - MH, actinic, nightlights...sliding canopy to get it out of the way? hinged?
Sump....refugium...RO/DI...top off
CA reactor? Kalc reactor? skimmer...in sump...out?
Size tank - turnover rate =size pump
Heaters - controller...chiller...pH meter...digital thermometer(s)
Backup plan(s) - battery bubblers...UPS

lots to think about

One thread on an in-wall they put 45 degree mirrors on each end - so you could see what was ateach end of the tank while looking at the tank from the front

Your right pictures would help. A lot of those things in your reply I know need to be addressed but knowing if there is room and if it feasable is my 1st thing on the list.

Here are some pictures and some explanations to what I may be looking to do. Please remember though this is a room in the house that is currently not even used so please excuse the mess.

Well to start here is the place we are looking to put it
2.jpg

From the left side of the previous picture
1.jpg

From the right side of the 1st picture
3.jpg

That little kitchen like room was used as a darkroom by the previous owner and that would be the new "Tank Room"
4.jpg

more coming......

This is a small cedar closet that does not get much use and would become part of the tank room, or I could put an entrance to the tank room on the left of that wall.
5.jpg

This is a closer shot of the room. notice plumbing is in and all the eletric outlets I could ask for. I would remove the countertop and cabinets to the right and maybe leave the ones in the back.
6.jpg

7.jpg

from inside what would be the tank room
8.jpg

Here is a shot from when you come down to the bottom level from the top. We have been wanting to make this a nice living/entertainment area since we bought the house.
9.jpg

Left of that
10.jpg

Well any input would be awesome and if anything hell you got to see the unused part of casa Kevin McG..... :D

Back