Importance of drip loops

oh also. if the power went out, will GFCI trip and then reset itself back on?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

If there is a power outrage, the GFCI will not trip, so as soon as the power goes back on, power will flow again. If the GFCI trips, then a manual reset is required.

For even better protection, install a GFCI breaker in your panel box.

BTW, the problem with power strips in our situation, is that the salt corrodes the inside, not allowing the trip capability of most to work properly. If your outlet is too close to the tank, especially the under cabinet area, the same could happen. Please keep an eye on those guys, GFCI will not work properly when corroded or excessive dust or dirt. The tripping occurs mechanically, so clean and not corroded metal parts are a must! Also, as Andyvalk said, spend the money on a good one.

Last edited:
the cons of not having a GFCI are shown in the original post. Electricity can end your life. You arent getting away with anything by not having them installed. It only borrowed time.

Forget about the extension cord adapters. They are junk. Spend the 15 bucks and swap out the outlet. You dont need to be an electrician and it takes less than 5 minutes. Follow the instructions as they need to be wired a certain way.

You say that electricity can end your life, but then tell him to install it himself? I'm not an electrician but if you don't know how to install one or if it's wired properly it will not trip correctly.

You say that electricity can end your life, but then tell him to install it himself? I'm not an electrician but if you don't know how to install one or if it's wired properly it will not trip correctly.

I agree, Please have someone who knows what they are doing, even with instructions it can be confusing. Plus, there are a couple of options when it comes to GFCI connections, meaning that you can connect them so just that single outlet is protected, or every outlet after on that same loop. If connected improperly, the GFCI will NOT trip.

Its really not that confusing following the instructions. But, if you are nervous, have an electrician or friend who is comfortable with electrical help.
The things regarding the wiring, there has to be a ground wire. If it is an ungrounded circuit, gfci won't work. It needs to be wired to the line side, not the load side. All clearly marked and in directions.

Any recommendations to a gfci that doesn't randomly turn off?

I've got a few through the company I work for that don't trip randomly, when they do get wet, they trip and stay tripped, and when the power goes out to the outlet, they reset.

I know they are 100$+ so they aren't cheap. When I get home, ill take a look.

i have the leviton outlets from home depot. I have not had any random trips. There has to be power to them to reset them. They dont trip when the power goes out. When they do trip (from being wet) they stay tripped until i reset them. They were 15 bucks each.

Back