Improving Circulation

Nikkoli110

Non-member
I really don't know too much about calculating how much water moves through my system, but I'm pretty sure I need some more circulation. I have a 29 gallon tank, with an 18" hob fuge, that is powered by a rio 600. I also have a bak pak powered by a rio 600. I run a little penguin 125 w/o the bio wheel, I just run the little carbon filter in it. I have the zoo-med powersweep, yea it sucks, half the time it doesnt move. I notice in the corners of my tank alot of crap collecting, so I usually have to go in with a turkey baster and blow it around when I do water changes. I was just wondering what the best way of creating more water movement is. I really hate the idea of adding 2 more powerheads, since my tank looks so full of them. I was wondering if I could add something to the outlets of either the bak pak, fuge, or both, like to divert the water. I wasnt sure how much it would cut down on the water coming out of it though. I kind of feel that my options are limited, because I don't have a sump. If I did add one, I would look at the sea swirl, because I have seen such good reviews about that. But without doing that, what else could I do? I just get so confused with this stuff becuase I really don't know all that much about it. Can someone give me some advice please! :D

Nikki, like you, I have a 29 gallon tank. And, like you, I dislike seeing "stuff" other than the reef in the tank (e.g., powerheads, heaters, skimmers, etc). So, when I considered the need for additional circulation, I settled upon a closed-loop system. For us 29-gal reefers without the benefit of plumbing that is drilled right through the tank, you are forced to have the plumbing come up over the back of the tank - which is still an unsightly mess. But, if you have a fully-enclosed canopy above your tank, you have the option of running a "Calfo" style closed-loop. See a picture here:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/SystemPIX/Image6.gif

The "halo" of piping you see can be hidden up inside the canopy. You can affix nozzles to the halo to direct the flow anywhere in the tank.

Also, if you don't have a sump, you can simply draw the water from the tank, down to a pump below the waterline behind the tank, and pump it up through the halo.

Now, of course, if you don't have a canopy, you still have an unsightly mess. Also, you need to do some work with PVC. It's certainly not difficult, but takes some time to get it right.

If you do decide to go for a closed-loop, I can assemble the PVC for you since I can model it after my 29-gal closed-loop (currently powered by a MAG7 pump, for better or worse).

Some other options might be to direct the ouput of the pump through some of the HOB stuff you have... if it can handle the flow. Unfortunately, it isn't easy to "direct" that flow... it simply spills into the tank.

Hope this helps... I am sure you will get many suggestions here!

I've seen fluval 304's and 404's at Building 19 for $49.00. For 50 bucks it's worth it. Pick up one and use it as a powerhead, or take off the hand on filter and run carbon in the fluval. Position the flow bar about halfway down the back of the tank under our live rock, with the holes facing up. You'll get a great upwelling current. This works really well in small tanks. Also, i't pretty easy to hide everything under, and behind your rock.

Wow thanks for the explanation, I have to admit, I really didn't understand what a closed loop was. :eek: Wow now I'm embarassed. But now I get it! That does sound good, but the only thing is, I don't have a canopy, and I actually don't have any room in the back of my tank! Haha, I actually had my bak pak running on the side of my tank for a while, before I chucked the bigger filter and got the small 125 penguin. Auhh...I'm just new at all the plumbing stuff...my bf does work for roto-rooter, so maybe he can explain some of the plumbing stuff to me. I tend to block it out and "uh-ha" him when he's talking about plumbing. :p I now know that when I was picking out my tank, I should have gone with the 38 gallon tank that was $10 more, but dumb a$$ me "liked how the stand was half open with a shelf". Duh, then I could have done a sump. I would do a sump in the tank I have now, but its only half behind a cabinet. I was thinking of buying a different stand, but that would be a pain to change too. Auuhhh I dont know.

Owen22 said:
I've seen fluval 304's and 404's at Building 19 for $49.00. For 50 bucks it's worth it. Pick up one and use it as a powerhead, or take off the hand on filter and run carbon in the fluval. Position the flow bar about halfway down the back of the tank under our live rock, with the holes facing up. You'll get a great upwelling current. This works really well in small tanks. Also, i't pretty easy to hide everything under, and behind your rock.

I was thinking earlier but I wasnt sure if it would work, but could I hook up one of those, and then buy a sea swirl, and use that? I'm not sure if it was enough output to actually make a difference.

Nikki, with all of the constraints you seem to have, maybe it's best to simply add a few powerheads and just consider this your first reef tank! Once you learn all of the intricacies of the system, you'll be better prepared to build a larger system. After all, it seems EVERYONE has the desire to move onto a larger system at some point!

you could do something like buy a nice big external pump thats totally overkill, SCWD it on a closed loop, and have each side of the scwd comeing out of 3 or 4 outlets...and remove everything thats in there now and just have this for circ.

You'd have tons of flow, but having say 6 or 8 outlets would mean that none of them have so much force that its gonna hurt anything.

And then when you do upgrade to a bigger tank, you can reuse the pump

Last edited:
I was just checking out melvesreef and the closed loop on his 29 looks awesome. If I could do that I might, but its going to have to go around my bak pak and the hob fuge. Right now I'm thinking I really should just put a sump in. The only thing that's holding me back, is #1 I have no idea how to do one, (yea I see pics but I'm still clueless) :) , and #2 if an overflow ever flooded my house, the tank we be gone and so would I! Haha.

Back