in a week i want to build another LED unit, help please

MPevine11

my own mini ocean
building a light for my 10 gallon tank........

i think im going to 12 dimmable leds (will this be good?)
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-59/12-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail

on this heatsink:
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-246/6"-x-9"-Black/Detail
will the 6X9 heat sink work over a 10 gallon tank? ( 20 inches long X 10 inches wide)

also i want the blues and white both separately dimmable, what else would i need? another dimmable driver and another power source?

also what driver should i get, i have a choice:
"1 Mean Well ELN-60-48P dimmable driver" or 1 "Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver"

also, the heatsink says it has a place on it to mount a 92mm fan, does anyone know how that is done?

thank you for any help :)

Do you see the four fins that look different? If this heat sync is anything like a PC. You would get a fan the same diamentions as the distance between those flanged fins and screw it in between those.

My other concern would be the LEDs. Everything I have read recently shows red and I cannot remember the other color. It all has to do with the spectrum of light.

You may want to look around some more as I have noticed some manufacturers changing their product lines.

Good Luck and Weclome back!

i was going to throw in a red and a green, but i have read some places it promotes alage growth.........

awesome i was wondering why those fins were different.

What is the distance between the fins? I have a couple of fans I bought new at "You Do It Electronics" that I will never use.

Measure the distance between those two sets of fins and PM me. If the fans I have look like they will do the job you can have them if your going to the Monthly meeting.

sorry to steal the thread but have u read any reviews on adding green and red LEDs to the fixture becasue i have a DIY led fixture and was thinking of adding a couple red and green in the mix if its worth it?.

i dont have the heat sink yet, im still in the planning stage,

what drivers should i go with?
also should i add a green and red LED? i have just blues and whites on my biocube 14 and it works awesome..........

The heatsink is great. I just redid my fluval edge light and used it. I plan to post a build thread on it, I've just been crazy busy... As to the greens, you won't gain much IMO and they don't mix well (reds are worse, definitely would not recommend them). I would just use blue (B), and royal blue(RB). The royal blue is a dark, deepwater blue, the blue, is more of sort of a Caribbean shallow water look and has plenty of green. Also, most greens are florescent green and therefore the color you see isn't what they respond to. Most greens fluoresce really well under blue(B) LEDs though, but many greens look awful under just RB IMO. Also, I personally think cool white is a waste of time. They are a really awful spectrum IMHO. The neutral whites are the way to go, as they cover a broader range and have much more red. They are yellow though, so, you need a higher blue to white ratio. On the edge, I used 6xRB, 2xB and 4xNW and couldn't be happier, it's not at all overly blue, definitely more of a "14000K" look, but colors are much, much more vivid than the previous mix of B and CW.

Edit: And drivers, I would stick with meanwell. Some of the other brands seem to have issues. If you want dimming, the "P" version lets you use a controller, such as the Boost Typhoon, but if you only have 1 I am not sure if it is necessary. It would let you do dusk to dawn dimming effects though. The "E" version only lets you do manual dimming.

Last edited:
i plan to have have 2 drivers so i can dim my white and blue sepraterly

is this how you would wire it?

would i need one powersource or 2?
also wheres the dimmer knob? is it included or needed seprate?

2012-01-29132605.jpg

Back