In love with my protein skimmer

LaneBrain

BRS Member
Is anyone else low-key obsessed with protein skimming? I recently got my reef octopus 150INT up and running in my 1.5 year old tank and have been cleaning the skimmate every 3 days. I’ll actually sit and watch the bubbles work their way up to the cup. Very satisfying

Attachments

• 83782C3A-6848-4DEA-BD65-7905DA30E484.jpeg
    83782C3A-6848-4DEA-BD65-7905DA30E484.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 170
There is a magical quality about watching a skimmer work. That being said, I didn't use it correctly until I learned when to shut it off....lol
Favorite skimmer is Bubble Magus curve D8. Love the DC pumps! Had good luck with Skimz also

I do that as well. The real problem I have is WHY DO I HAVE TO SMELL IT EVERYTIME??????? It’s always gross and hasn’t changed in 8 years.

I do that as well. The real problem I have is WHY DO I HAVE TO SMELL IT EVERYTIME??????? It’s always gross and hasn’t changed in 8 years.
Literally one of the best smells ever. Reminds me of low tide where I grew up.

Is anyone else low-key obsessed with protein skimming? I recently got my reef octopus 150INT up and running in my 1.5 year old tank and have been cleaning the skimmate every 3 days. I’ll actually sit and watch the bubbles work their way up to the cup. Very satisfying
Yup. Satisfying for sure.

Since we’re on the subject of skimmer, I saw a video where Chris Mackley from ACI said that saltwater can only saturate so much oxygen. He accidentally tested the oxygen level of a tank with skimmer off a few hours and one with skimmer running and found no difference in oxygen level in the two readings. He also went further and stated that skimmer is an excellent CO2 scrubber. I thought about it and kinda makes sense since CO2 is a gas and can rise back out of the water columm in the skimmer body and into the skimmer cup and out. I wonder if anyone ever tested the CO2 level exiting the breather hole of the skimmer cup. Might have to lead that air outside if that’s the case. Also, if this is true, for those who runs recirculating CO2 scrubber, would that just depletes your media much quicker? Can you guys message me, I love to hear what you think about this. I don’t want to bomb this post with this subject unless it’s ok with the author.

Back