In Praize of fish oil

I'm not sure he has a complaint at all. He is simply stating that fish in the sea eat a lot of fish oil and thinks it's a good idea to try to replicate their natural diet as much as possible. Hikari makes great food and I use them second to LRS reef frenzy.

If you have read much from Paul, one of the things that happens in his tank that you don't see in many others is spawning. That is a sign of a truly healthy fish imo.

Fish and krill oil is also sold in capsules
can I just buy fish oil At cvs made for human consumption and use this ?
I gonna start using this oil until i can start farming my own black worms or find a place close enough the carries then .

I think the capsules are too big for fish. I don't think fish will take up fish oil in the water.
Also your skimmer may go crazy.

Fish and krill oil is also sold in capsules
can I just buy fish oil At cvs made for human consumption and use this ?
I gonna start using this oil until i can start farming my own black worms or find a place close enough the carries then .

Yes the stuff you take yourself, or should be as I do.
You can only put some of that oil on something dry like some pellets or flakes. Never on wet or frozen foods as it will just wash off as soon as it hits the water. It will not make your skimmer go crazy, but it will completely stop your skimmer from foaming for an hour or so. I put about 20 pellets in a small container, add 2 drops of oil and shake it up. Then after an hour or so, I give it to the fish. It needs some time to sink in.
If you feed live worms and clams as I do, your fish should start to spawn and die only from old age which in some fish is 30 years old. Most smaller fish live about 12 years and clowns live about 28 years. Tangs are someplace in the middle. If your fish are dying sooner, or getting sick, they are not very healthy.
I would not give them oil every day, maybe once a week if you are feeding as I suggest.
dz6t, some of my spawning fish are 25 years old, I never quarantine and my fish have not gotten any type of disease in probably 30 years. That is how I came by my theories, my reef is also 45 years old. :cool:

12 year old watchman with her eggs. (maybe she is a watchgirl)

Last edited:
Yes the stuff you take yourself, or should be as I do.
You can only put some of that oil on something dry like some pellets or flakes. Never on wet or frozen foods as it will just wash off as soon as it hits the water. It will not make your skimmer go crazy, but it will completely stop your skimmer from foaming for an hour or so. I put about 20 pellets in a small container, add 2 drops of oil and shake it up. Then after an hour or so, I give it to the fish. It needs some time to sink in.
If you feed live worms and clams as I do, your fish should start to spawn and die only from old age which in some fish is 30 years old. Most smaller fish live about 12 years and clowns live about 28 years. Tangs are someplace in the middle. If your fish are dying sooner, or getting sick, they are not very healthy.
I would not give them oil every day, maybe once a week if you are feeding as I suggest.
dz6t, some of my spawning fish are 25 years old, I never quarantine and my fish have not gotten any type of disease in probably 30 years. That is how I came by my theories, my reef is also 45 years old. :cool:

12 year old watchman with her eggs. (maybe she is a watchgirl)

thanks !
I will get something like this
krill.jpg

the oil I take is on a gnc multi pack and those are for me lol

Back