Innovative Marine Skim Mate

airhog

Non-member
I recently set-up a Nuvo 38 innovative Marine reef tank a few weeks ago, and just installed their new Skim Mate, just looking for some feedback from others.

The skimmer seems to work well, and is good quality, but have tried everything to stop the micro bubbles from being carried over to the tank.

I talked with customer service and set the unit up exactly as recommended, and was told that to expect this for a couple weeks for a "break in period"

I don't understand what this break in period would make any difference, and also concerned if the micro bubbles can have an effect on the two clowns in the tank?

The bubbles probably won't hurt anything.

Can you post a pic of how it's set up?

If this is your first skimmer it can be very confusing to adjust at first. Basically if a newly set up skimmer looks like it's anywhere close to even considering producing foam - more often than not the water level is WAY too high. (nevermind if you've already been through the process, no idea on your exp level).

I set up the Nuvo 38g three months ago. I just ordered a hydor nano skimmer to try. We will see how it goes when it arrives. I am having trouble keeping the nitrates down with the basic filtration (running 10 ppm roughly).

Do you feel like the filtering is a bit weak on this system?

Yes I agree, the filtration is minimal, especially when you eliminate one side to make room for the skim mate, it does seem inadequate, I ma not sure what the solution is, if anyone has some suggestions, it would be helpful.

I saw on some blog somewhere that an owner of the Nuvo 38g replaced the stock pump with a more powerful pump to increase the flow through the filter baskets. I have been toying with that idea, but wanted to get the skimmer in first. I am also installing a small Hydor circulation pump today. I already have livestock in the tank: 1 clown, 3 chromis, trumpet coral, few mushrooms, some snails, a conch, and ALGAE (quite an assortment)!

I also thought about setting up a sump somehow (the IM 8g tank would fit in the cabinet underneath) but I am unsure how to plumb it. I am new to all this.

I put my hydor nano skimmer in the tank today in place of one of the baskets. It just fits... can't fit my fingers next to it to adjust placement or anything. I'm actually not quite sure the bottom suction cup/magnet is in place or not. It increased the noise level some, but not so much as to be annoying, and in my house the noise level is high anyway :) It is visually great, because the only thing you can see above tank level is the very top of the cup, which is tinted plastic, and the little air-tubey-thing.

I have micro bubbles too... but can't really see unless you are looking for them.

Now that I am down to one basket, I think I will place a bag of carbon in the big chamber with the return pump. It will get some flow through, though much will obviously go around. I've heard, hope its correct, that carbon can have some value even if it is placed passively in the tank.

In addition to the micro bubbles I have been experiencing in my Nuvo 38, it seemed that the filtration was inadequate with the elimination of one of the filter baskets required to install the skim mate, particulate continuously floating around.

I eliminated the Skim Mate and reinstalled the the second filter basket and the water cleared up, I am really questioning the design flow capacity of this tank filtration capacity and the performance with the Skim Mate??

I've stuffed the area around the hydor nano skimmer with some filter floss.... seems otherwise the skimmer would just be chopping up gunk and spewing some of it out. There is about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch around the hydor skimmer so I just shoved the floss in the top one or two inches and so far it is staying in place. I figured it would catch some stuff.

I don't know. This is my first marine tank.

The water was very clear with the two filter baskets, but nitrates were high even with almost daily 1/2 gallon to gallon water changes. Since the tank actually only took 28 gallons of water, that's a significant weekly % water change. I don't think I'm overfeeding.

I suppose worst case we add hang-on-back filters!! That would be terrible.

When I purchased this 38 Nuvo, I was under the impression that it was an all in one system, I feel like we are doing R&D for Innovative Marine, this isn't rocket science, upgrading pumps? Skimmer isn't working? inadequate filtration?

The Hydor Nano skimmer appears to be working. There is a small amount of gunk building up in the cup. The floss around it is doing some mechanical pre-filtration and preventing stuff from passing by the skimmer and recirculating back into the tank unfiltered. Micro bubbles are much fewer... really imperceptible.

The real test will be the water tests I do in the coming weeks. I will let you know how it goes. I will try to figure out how to post pictures of the equipment in the tank.

The Hydor skimmer in the IM 38g is working out well. It is skimming, today's nitrates were a little lower, and it is visually a good fit. I will trim air hose. See pics

Hydor Nano Skimmer in 38g IM tank.jpgskimmer view 2.jpg

As many on here will agree, any AIO system tends to be a starting point and then people do a DIY here and there because they rarely seem to be perfect from the factory sadly.
I agree that many people seem to be the R&D for them. I remember when the Nuvo first came out it had quite a few problems and customers had so many returns that they changed some things.
I would think sitting anything behind the tank would restrict flow, though the BioCube has a similar skimmer in the back chamber design that works fine so IDK.

As for microbubbles, can you put some form of foam filter over the outlet? Like the pre-filter foam that goes on a powerheads intake? The cylindrical one.

Airhog, are you still having micro bubbles? So I had installed the hydor skimmer and was not having any micro bubble problems. Yesterday, I replaced the filter media sponges and now my tank is completely full of micro bubbles. A little googling.... there are reports of phosphate sponges causing this problem on some reefing blogs. I wonder if mine will go away in a few days, or not until the sponge is very old.

Anyone know about this?

Just got in a new replacement Skim Mate sent from IM by Mannie in customer service, nice people. set it up exactly like the manual describes, adjust the rate of bubbles, flow and height of the unit, same micro bubbles, tried everything, also tried a third pump. The tank looks like a soda bottle shaken violently, I think I am going to throw in the towel on this one. I also have the IM reactor, works great, simple, great design am very pleased with it.

If anyone has any ideas please chime in?

Back