Instant Ocean salt mix hard like sugar or .......salt....

Vinman75

Non-member
I have a bag of Instant ocean salt mix that has become hard like sugar/salt does when it is humid. Want to confirm that if scrape it and then mix with water it make saltwater it is OK? Other than being a little tougher to mix. My guess is that the salt mix is still viable? can anyone confirm?

How old do you think the box of salt is?? That happens when stored in a damp area. I'm guessing it was an open bag, right!

yes, it was a bag that I thought was closed but had opened up. Salt is just a couple of months old. was in our dining room but the heat and the humidity over the last month did us in.

I got the 160 gallon buckets that have an extremely tight seal, then once use the entire bucket buy the 200 gallon bags of salt and use that to fill the bucket and do water changes with the other 40. That is what has worked for me.

I would just break it up (smash it with a 2x4) and mix as usual

or, if you like something less violent than smashing it with a 2x4*::, you can break off a chunk, it will dissolve in water, albeit a bit more slowly. :D

*Andy is working out some displaced aggression about his daughters' boy friends, I guess. :p :D

or, if you like something less violent than smashing it with a 2x4*::, you can break off a chunk, it will dissolve in water, albeit a bit more slowly. :D

*Andy is working out some displaced aggression about his daughters' boy friends, I guess. :p :D

Hahaha....I would go with the 2x4 idea, this way you get two birds with one stone. You would get some anger out and some good working salt at the same time :)

multitasking....while saving on a therapist

I have heard minerals can dissolve out with exposure to moisture. Might want to check the levels before you use it.

Here is my question and answer from the company that makes Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals.

Sent: Fri 7/30/2010 1:52 PM
To: US Aquatics Consumer Support
Subject: Instant Ocean Salt

Hi,

My bag of reef crystals has gotten a little clumpy, and there are crystals suspended in the water. Is it still good? Should I wait for the crystals to settle to the bottom before adding the saltwater mix to my tank?

ANSWER:

Hello,

If the salt mix has become clumpy from moisture, it will not dissolve properly. Be sure to test the water to make sure that all levels are still within the proper range. As long as everything test ok it would be fine to use. The suspended particles should not hurt anything, but I would try to avoid getting them in the tank as they probably will not dissolve there either.

Sincerely,

UPG Aquatics

Also, I found that the clumps will dissolve better if the temperature is correct before adding the salt. Using a powerhead will help it dissolve as well. I ran mine for a day until the water looked clear. I also punched a few holes in a plastic container and let the water drip through it into the tank to catch any suspended particles, but that might have been overkill. Good luck.

Back