Interesting Blue Damsel habit

stingythingy45

BRS Member
My Blue damsel seems to like to wag her tail really fast and stir up some of the upper sand layers.Then she circles around and trys to get anything that might be in the water column,as do the other fish.Well,this has turned out to be a benefit.Seems that her efforts to find tidbits in the sand is keeping my sandbed nice and clean looking.And it's not as brutal as the sand sifter gobie was with burying corals and stuff.
Just once in a while I have to blow off the rocks with a turkey baster.

Worm hunting, that is awesome to see in an aquarium.

Is that what it is?
I always laugh because it will circle around and come back out like"who did that?..........not me.":p
I guess some blue damsels can be a terror.But this gal seems to just mind her own and only chases the yellow tail every once in a great while.It's more like a game than trying to kill him.I guess only having 5 small fish in a 90 also keeps territoriality issues at bay also.

Yes, they are hunting. I used to have a fish only tank and one of my damsel got to be 5" long and he used to stir up sand to find bristle worms to eat. Pretty cool to watch.

It's cool how the other fish tag along to try and get a snack also from the damsel's efforts.

At first it used to dig some pretty extensive tunnels under the LR.
But since I upgraded to a bigger tank and added more LR there's more places to hide so it doesn't seem interested in that anymore.
I seen her the other day swimming with a bunch of mini feather dusters in her mouth.........moving them.lol

Back