Interesting reef gadget

NanoReefer

25g Waterbox
Cool gadget to view the little critters ( down to Zooxanthelle packets) in your aquarium, only ?260 (approx. 330 US $). They are called a mesoscope. Does anyone around here have one of these? I wonder if there is a DIY project in this to recreate one of these for use with any digi/film camera or just the ol' eyeball.

Pic of one in Calfo's RC gallery Calfo's description:[font=MS Sans Serif,Geneva,Arial]Mesoscope - used to veiw extreme close ups in the aquarium. Magnification gets close enough to see brooding planulae or zoox packets in some corals.[/font]
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=86035&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

Web page with sales, camera attachments coming soon. I belive the price is in Euro's on this page.???
http://www.paraquatics.co.uk/en-gb/dept_172.html

That's a trip down memory lane Joe. When we were kids, my brother and I used to make those during the summer. Ah, the fun we had with nanotechnology - those were the days. ;)

joefitz said:
http://sxm4.uni-muenster.de/introduction-en.html

Why stop there -- go to the atomic level with this DIY scanning, tunneling microscope!

Hmm, I think that may still be too heavy for the glass. ;) A mesoscope is still cheaper too. :D

Nate, why don't you whip one up and let us know if it works. :) There could be a good market there, since it is a reef item you can mark it up 3x.

Anyway, The mesoscope is small and powerfull. It is also a non-invasive way to view the tiny creatures and details in your reef. I guess I am the only one who finds this fascinating (besides Calfo), As I was always interested in Biology and the "How does it work" aspects of the things around me. (living and mechanical items)

Later
Steve

NanoReefer said:
I guess I am the only one who finds this fascinating (besides Calfo),

Not at all! I think this is very cool (maybe not cool enough to spend half a grand on, but cool nonetheless). Have you found any pictures online of reef stuff taken through a mesoscope. I'd love to see what there is to see.

Also, let me know when you buy one. :) I'd be more than happy to have you over for a beer . . . assuming you bring your new mesoscope along. :)

Nate

So I looked a little further, and the sample images they have on their own website actually aren't very impressive. Don't know if they're just not taken well, or if this is the best the lens can do.

view1.jpg

view2.jpg

view3.jpg

I would actuall like to get one this summer, I get some extra $$$$ with the over time. Ya, I'll bring it if the beer is cold!!! ;)

Besides, we spend more than half a grand on most of our items, skimmer, Lights, pumps , electricity. Why not something to enjoy the tank?

NanoReefer said:
I would actuall like to get one this summer, I get some extra $$$$ with the over time. Ya, I'll bring it if the beer is cold!!! ;)

It's a British product. The beer will be warm. :)

I don't think they have a camera attachment yet, so it is probably taken with the camera pressed up against the lens. I tried to snap some photo's though my friends monocular (45x zoom) and they looked crappy, with the naked eye the image was crystal clear.

I am going to go to Calfo's page on RC and see if he has any pic's with this gadget.

Guiness is fine anyway you pour it
d0kcheers.gif

i tossed a post on Calfo's forum on RC, I don't think those pics are representative of the products full potential. It states the you can see zooxanthelle packets and brooding planulae. I am assuming that they could not focus the camera (wild guess) with such a zoom factor and no way to hold the camera perfectly in position without an adapter.

Back