is 2150 gph too much for a 28g mixed reef?

Trevor

Non-member
As title says. What's everyones opinion? This is a barebottom tank so sand storms wont be a problem. Also they will be running 24/7
Let me know what you think

for a mixed reef, likely. LPS and softies dont need tons of flow. If you are going to be SPS dominant, then i think the flow is a little more than most people run but try to aim the pumps so they are indirect.

but it doesnt seem like too much flow, ill try to take a little video here shortly and post up so you guys can see

Who are you Tim "the reef man"Taylor?lol
Way too much POWER?
This is a mixed reef,the softies and even lps would like that much flow.

exactly why i have MP10s on my 5 foot tank instead of MP40s. Mostly LPS. They like to gently sway, not get blown back in to their shell. The SPS I do have i just place closer to the source of the flow.

I had 3248gph flow in my 29g mixed reef. I even had sand. No problems at all. I just added flow over time
.....it did make it harder to find spots for my hammers though, they didn't like being blasted.

here is a quick clip of the tank with both powerheads running, like i said it doesnt seem to be too much.. i dont think, if anything i could put more....

you guys think it looks good? should i put the koralia 1 blowing behind the rockwork? you think it will be too much?

How long have you had both ph's running in the dt? It does look like a tad too much flow, however all your corals seem to be open and enjoying it. IMO if you've had success and good growth with the two ph's as is I would just leave them alone.

I've had the 5000 liter per hour power head plus a koralia 1 going for I don't know probably a few months now and then I had just thrown the other 3000 liter per hour in there and took out the koralia 1.. but I think I'm going to put the koralia 1 back in and have it blow behind the rocks. So after that ill have upwards of 2700ish gph going.... Nothing will settle in this tank!

Back