Is 74 degrees too cold for a mixed reef tank?

JeanR

BRS Member
My heater started going whacky and I found my tank at 84 degrees so I took it out (the tank is usually 77-78). The way I heat/cool my house seems to keep the tank pretty steady at 74-75.

I'm thinking this is close enough and may skip buying another heater. Bad idea?

Bad idea. They can tolerate the colder temperature but don’t think it’ll be good for them in the long run. Metabolic rates will slow down on everything even the fish.

Get an aqua controller to regulate that wacky heater

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

From what I've seen 74 makes for more O2 and higher pH.

How is the growth?

TBH, both my tanks are at about 80-81 because of the pumps. My fans turn on all of the time to cool them (81.5 degrees). I don't think my heaters have been on in a year, except for the night I left the window open the other night, lol.

I'd like 78 degrees, but it isn't happening.

What do you run your alk at? I’m questioning it just because I’m under the impression ph has to do with alkalinity and co2 and nothing to do with o2. The rise in ph from a calibration standpoint is only a 0.02 difference from 77F-66F

I don't think 74 is optimal for a reef system, but of course it depends upon where the corals are from. I generally keep mine between 76 and 84, but short periods outside this is probably okay. Not a good idea to swing quickly either, obviously. I'm okay with a 3-4 degree F swing in a day.

Probably not idea, but when I had seahorses attached to my reef I keep it around 74-76. Everything stayed alive but not sure if growth was hindered.

Back