is lowes the best place to get acrylic?

brennickfish

Non-member
I am building a sump and refugium but I am having trouble finding a good source for acrylic. The glass store was way high priced. Lowes was about $5 a square foot for 8mm. I need 40 sq ft and would like 10mm

Lowes does not carry much in the way of quality acrylic material. IIRC most of what they have is polycarbonate, lexan or otherwise not the stuff you want to use.

You'll pay for good material, no way around it.

I would suggest "cast" acrylic, but "extruded" acrylic is also usable for sumps.

Try contacting altec on B street in boston, and Jfreeman in boston. Shipping will hurt on this, so local may be a good option.

I agree, usplastics.com is great as well.

Altec in Boston had a good selection when I was there a few weeks ago. Personally, I like Palco Plastics in Whitman, MA. Tony is a GREAT guy and very fair. In addition to having a good selection of materials, he can pretty much fabricate anything you want out of acrylic and other plastics. He's also got the equipment to make very clean cuts. Again, he's very fair in price IMO. If anyone is interested, his number is: 781-447-0064

Tell him Paul with the Maritime Skiff sent ya. :)

Back