Is the plastic tank trim needed?

NateHanson

Non-member
I'm cleaning up an old 55g for a sump, and the plastic trim on top easily pulled off. Is there anyreason to secure it back on? I'd actually prefer to leave it off because it increases the width of the top by about 1/2" so it'll be easier to get equipment in and out.

It's the old kind of 55 with 3/8" glass and no cross brace.

Last edited:
I checked to see how much a 55g with a broken center brace bowed when filled. It was over an inch! I would put some silicone on it and put it back on unless you are running real low water level.

If it didn't have a center brace in the first place, I would say you're safe to keep the trim off. PJ (Jango) has a couple of tanks that have no trim at all (he took them off).

Especially since this is going to be a sump, it won't be filled to the top with water anyways...

Last edited:
I would put it back. It was probably manufactured with the frame for support, IMO. I had an old 100 gallon with no trim before, but it was manufactured that way. It would make me really nervous leaving the trim off a tank that was made with it.....

i dont think the plastic does anything unless it has a brace on it

as a sump i wouldn't worry about it

NateHanson said:
This is the kind of 55 with no plastic center brace, and thicker glass Paul.
go look at his 125. ( my old one) you'll see how much the thincher non braced ones bow.

it may be fine on a sump but what happens when the power goes out? is it worth the risk of a leak?

As far as I know, the plastic frames are also meant to helps relieve pressure from the seams it the corners. I would leave it on.

Back