Hang on tank plastic containers.

Piscevore

elsewhere
Does anyone have any, who is also going to the meeting this weekend?
The kind that are like 5 bucks or so?

I want something that I can fill up with water and add a big shot of phyto into that will allow for a concentrated soup, to feed (small) clams. I'm thinking this way the 2 small guys I have will be able to get a good lunch a few times week, and then I'll just put the water back in the tank. I'm guessing a concentrated lunch "bath" will improve their ability to intake nutrition, as I can't possibly add -enough- DT's to my tank without creating a roiling cess pool.

How big is small...you could use the top portion of a 2 liter or whatever bottle fits and then use a turkey baster to squirt in the hole. You could cut some narrow slits to allow for some water flow through the bottle if you like.

I want something I can hang inside the tank! :)
No flow, so the precious DT's isn't swept away before greedy clam filter systems can get to it.

They'd get a 10-15 minutes dip in the "broth", and then I'd dump both clam and phyto back into the tank. I just want something I can dip and fill up with tank water, and leave hanging on the inside of the tank, so at least the temperature stays moderately the same.

We're talking about 1.5-3" of clam.

piscevore from what i have been told there is a huge difference between keeping a 1.5" and a 3" clam.the 1.5" will need alot more care and direct feeding than a 3".when i lost my 1.5" clam i had alot of questions and i got some very good answers on rc's clam forum.the ones on clams direct are 1.5"-2" i was basically told after 3" is much easier to keep.but it looks like you are doing some research.im not trying to give you any crap i would just like to see your clams if i ever visit 6 months to a year down the road,research,research,research.i know i should have done more when i got my little guy.good luck ryan i hope to see these in the future

Dunno much about clams. Is it ok to pick them up and move them arround so much? I'd figured you want to not disturb it as much as posssible?

http://clamsdirect.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=51

In the clams direct forum Barry suggests feeding the little guys 2-3 times a week by moving them into a holding tank, and watching them filter the water clean.

The caption on my new golden clam is "needs feeding". So I figured I'd do what Barry suggested. That said, The inverted cola bottle, inject with Dt's, isn't a bad suggestion at all. I just figured it would be just as easier to pick the little guy up and drop him in a bucket of water hanging in the tank. It is easier to watch him consume the phyto that way.

dedfish said:
Dunno much about clams. Is it ok to pick them up and move them arround so much? I'd figured you want to not disturb it as much as posssible?

very true.
try not to move it.

go with a TALL 2 liter cut off top with slits and a tiny turkey baster or a test kit dropper. also keep in mind: Most "target" feeding is rejected. you clam is more likely to close when blown by DT's forcing the food out of its mouth in clumps.
try to create an environment that is not a massive saturation of dt's and you should have better luck than most. dispense sparringly. also a good souce of food is thaw out some frozen food and try to skim out the nitrate rich water.
Clams Love nitrates and phosphates.

I'm reading a product made my knop, "Koral Vit F" is supposed to create a strong feeding response....good to combine with DT's.

About 50% of what I have read says "don't move the clam" and then the guy who is selling the things(barry) is saying "its not a big deal to move the little guys". The bottom line though, is that they don't want to be force fed, it just helps to make sure they are getting "enough". The littler ones (who get something like 50-60% of their nutrition through filtration) definately need some sort of attention, wherease the ones above 3" or so don't really need much more than good strong light....

So I'll try the soda bottle approach I guess.

I have never had a problem moving clams for feedings. They get used to it. Mine took them less than a minute to open up completely after being placed in a specimen container for feedings.

Whenever I tried to use the bottle approach, there would always be a corner that was not "sealed" from water flow. So, it did not take very long for the DT's to get pulled out into the main tank.

I would stick with your original plan and pick up a specimen container at the closest pet shop. Place all clams in the container (hanging inside the tank), and feed. They usually clear the water in about an hour.

You will want to try to get them to attach their foot to a small rock or shell, so that they are easy to remove. Do not let them attach to your rockwork until they do not require feedings and do not need to be removed.

Just my $.02

I used the coke bottle with the cap on.
15-20 minutes, the DT are gone. and this is on my 6" teardrop and my 3" blue max.
I dont like moving my clams.....

Back