is there a way? :rolleyes:

skyedolphan

Non-member
:rolleyes: OK I am going with a shorter sand bed when we get the drilled tank going I would like to keep some of my old sand bed to layer the top of the new south down what would be the best way to do this? continous ro water flushes,salt water flushes, just put it on top Gods I am starting to hate this :(

Just scoop the sand up from the old bed and pour it over the surface of the new bed. If it looks really dirty you can rinse the old sand, but if you rinse with anything other than salt water you will kill a lot of life in the old sand.

When I transfered my tank I just scooped 2 or 3 cups for the new tank and after 6 weeks I cant beleive what I see in the NEW sand bed

Dawn,
When removing the sand from the old system use a flat kitchen utensil & take the very top level of the sand & use that. That is the aerobic level & very good for seeding the southdown with minimal ammonia spike. I didn't do that when I changed my system over & had an ammonia spike because I mixed the sand from the deep areas (anerobic) with the aerobic & then mixed it with the southdown. very bad!!!! When my tank sprung a leak I did it the way I mentioned at the top of this page. This was done in early spring with the replacement tank. I had no spike at all & lost nothing in the changeover. (other than 70% of my sps due to them being in a tub too long without a skimmer hooked up) They perished in the tub & not inside the new tank. They never made it that far but what did survive in sps were beat up pretty bad & they recovered fine in the new system that was just set up.

I agree with the seeding advice... Here's a related question.
How young does a sand bed have to be to allow safe transfer to another tank? I'm replacing a cheapo 55G with a RR one. The cheapo has been running since February. I imagine reusing it all would result in a big NH3 spike. Should I start over with 95% new sand?
-Karen

Kas related but not do you already have the 55 RR? cause I just had to buy one to use as a transfer tank will be needing new home in a few weeks LOL

as for sandbed I took app.5 cups from the top and placed in the 55 for the watchmen the rest is still unfortunaltely in the tank due to chaos in my home tonite..so it is giving me more time to find critters...hpefully tomorrow will be better abd can get it out cause I amnot looking forward to the low tide smell :)

Back