Is this bleaching?

chadfish

BRS Member
Is this an example of coral bleaching? Looks like just one side of one polyp, but also seems to be preventing that polyp from opening.

Sorry for the iPhone quality.
5E51484D-7F10-4796-8C3F-80264BFDD8E8.jpeg

looking like the start of brown jelly, maybe you might have to pop him down, whats your tank aparame5ters again? Mainly alk, phosphate, and nitrate.

Upon some gentle poking/prodding/scraping, it doesn’t seem to be gelatinous. It’s definitely hard/stony

looking like the start of brown jelly, maybe you might have to pop him down, whats your tank aparame5ters again? Mainly alk, phosphate, and nitrate.

Like I said above, doesn't seem to be any goop or jelly on polyps

Temp = 77.9-79.1
Alk = 7-8
Nitrate ~5ppm
Phos ?
Lights - 7 inches from surface, still acclimating to Orbit Marine 5102 and BeamsWork Quad 30 with 40 x 3W full spectrum and 12 x 3W blue actinic

I'm up to to running the Orbit on full (with ramp up/down) and the BeamsWork full spectrum for 5 min at noon and blues from noon-8pm. Maybe too much light?

Flow = 2 Jebao SOW-8s = plenty of flow - indirect to the LPS and on lowest settings

honestly man the pic is hard to see, I saw your other post about scraping, might be just growth. Keep an eye dont piss it off.....I dont think ur light is gonna fry that coral in any regards, I have the same coral in about SPS par right now

honestly man the pic is hard to see, I saw your other post about scraping, might be just growth. Keep an eye dont piss it off.....I dont think ur light is gonna fry that coral in any regards, I have the same coral in about SPS par right now

Yeah, I hear you. I’m not at the point of good photography yet. I think it’s tissue recession and I’m going to tell myself that it’s due to the stress of transport until someone tells me otherwise. In the meantime I’m going to get a Hannah phosphate checker and borrow the club’s PAR meter.
Here’s a series of photos that I think show the slow onset, but the quality of the photos sucks
94148FF8-D525-4CF9-BB78-2D6FF5DEF76A.jpeg

One thing that helps if you do not have filters for your phone is to either turn on your flash and take the pic at an angle or use an LED flashlight pointed at the coral and take the pic.

Back