Is this too much flow?

Trevor

Non-member
just picked up a beast of a powerhead that puts out 5000 lph, do you guys think that i should remove the 2 smaller ones that i have going in there currently? i have a seio 320 koralia 1 and this huge no named one i got today.. in a 26g bowfront, so lets just say the tank is now going from the previously 720 Gph to about 2000 Gph.. do you guys think that it is too much for a 26?
TIA

What do you have for corals in the tank? If it's mostly SPS and it's not causing you any sand storms I'd say go for it. A lot of people with SPS tanks keep flow that high.

I'd be careful nothing is too close to a PH that the flesh is being blown off it though haha. Watch the tank and see what happens...

i am having a bit of a sandstorm, but i figure after it runs for a little while the sand should settle back down after its done shifting, this is a lps softy tank, only 1 or 2 sps.. is there any better positioning for this monster ph then where i currently have it? right now its about a 1/4 the way down in the tank blowing across. do you guys think if i lower it to maybe like half and have it pointing up more towards the surface it will help kinda slow the flow down a bit?

how much flow does everyone have running in there tanks? also what size tanks are these?

In my 120 DT (4x2x2) I have two Sicce Voyager 4000s, one on the left, one on the right. I alternate them with my Apex Jr. every 3 hours. I was worried it was too much, but keep hearing you can't have enough.

Bc29 and have a mp10 running full throttle...

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

put the powerhead on lower third of tank and aim at surface...if your softees and lps aren't whipping around too much, you should be okay. Sps love flow...prob never too much unless they are in front of the ph and the flesh is ripping off ;)

Im running 2 koralis 425's, modded tunze 6025 (~1200gph), and my 400gph return pump on a 34g. 2050-2450gph

holy phs mrX 4000 gph!
Jack, what kind of phs do you have? including your return

I run a Koralia 600, and a 425... I only run one of the return pumps on the back, which put out just over 200gph, because if I run them both it causes a leak at the front of the tank....

My biggest issue with what I have going on is that all the PH's take up so much space...

I run 2 Koralia 750's on 1/2 hour alternating cycle in my 54g. With my return this is about 15x gph flow.

After seeing flow in frank180reef's DT today, I think I have new equipment on my wish list. That was some flow w/ 2 MP40's.

how are you figuring out the turnover rate? is it gph/tank size? if so i think im at about 50x

I have a 120, 4x2x2, and I have three MP40s, one one each wall except the front. I also have a Bluline 55 at about 1/2 open. With all the flow I am currently having issues with red slime. People say I need to add more flow to the dead spots, I dont have any.

I have a 120, 4x2x2, and I have three MP40s, one one each wall except the front. I also have a Bluline 55 at about 1/2 open. With all the flow I am currently having issues with red slime. People say I need to add more flow to the dead spots, I dont have any.

what do you have for a substrate? if sand how do you keep it from having sandstorms with that much flow

Back