Iwaki- is there any difference between rt/rlt/rxt?

Trevor

Non-member
Or is it all the same just different ways people write it? If different please explain how. Thanks

rlt = pressure application
rlxt = circulation application
rt= missing letter(s) :)

+1

RLT is for sump returns as it has the pressure to overcome head height.
RLXT is for closed loops. high flow with little back pressure on the system.

So what is a iwaki md40rt-115NL that's what it says on my pump I Got

Last edited:
Ok, i will use your pump as an example

iwaki md40rt-115NL

MD or WMD - this is the motor. MD is japanese,
40 - this is the pump size
R - Rotating spindle
L - This designates the pump as UL listed IF it is the WMD (american made). This is why yours has no L. It is japanese.
X- This would designate a high flow pump. If this letter is not present - it is a pressure pump.
T - This means that the connections are male NPT (pipe fittings). If this letter is absent, it is a hose barb fitting.
115 - this is the voltage of the pump. either 115 or 220.
NL - This means the pump is UL listed IF it is the MD (Japanese version). Yours is the Japanese and thus has the NL designation.

Hope this helps.

alright so I got all that but I'm still curious as to what letter is the pressure rated letter? is my not pressure rated or is that a iwaki in general?

X equals circulation, without X is pressure rated.

Also IIRC circulation (non-pressure rated) are fine/ideal for most return pumps as long as the sump is right under the tank. Pressure rated pumps are better for basement sumps, or application with a lot of back pressure such as beckett skimmers. Either type can handle some back pressure, it's just that the pressure rated pumps overcome back pressure much better (ie they lose less flow when overcoming a fair amount of back pressure, but the same sized pump will flow less under little to no back pressure).

Like John said, the lack of "X" means that the pump is a pressure pump. If it had the "X" designation, it would be a velocity pump.

You basically have the exact same pump I have except mine is the american motor. I have mine right under the tank. It feeds my returns, frag tank, carbon/gfo reactor, fuge, and CaRx. For me, it is a little underpowered but doable. If i was just feeding my display, it would be fine. I also have it so that it pumps about 25 ft to a drain for water changes.

Back